Biola to host lament session after Chauvin verdict

Biola seeks to foster a culture of Christ-like love in community.

Bethsabe Camacho, Deputy News Editor

On April 20, headlines across the United States reported that Derek Chauvin was found guilty on three counts of murder for the death of George Floyd. 

That same day, the Office of the President sent a campus-wide email acknowledging the different emotions that Biolans may be facing. The administration encouraged students, staff and faculty to take the time to pause from classes and work if they needed to process the outcome.

MOVING FORWARD

Another email sent on April 22 addressed Biola’s Theological Statement on Diversity found in their Unity Amidst Diversity plan.

“As stated in our Theological Statement on Diversity, ‘We recognize that the pervasiveness of sin impacts both individuals and institutions. We confess to being a broken community in constant need of healing in relation to our past and present,’” the email read.

According to the email, Biola’s goal is to continue creating a culture of Christ-like love with the result of a thriving intercultural community by taking practical steps. On April 26, from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., the Division of Diversity and Inclusion will host separate spaces for faculty, staff and students to process the verdict in community. 

In the email, Biola called on the community to pray for the family of Floyd, Chauvin, the nation’s leaders and for injustices experienced by others around the world.