Softball sweeps Azusa Pacific

The Eagles took down APU in a two-series match up on Saturday afternoon.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola softball hosted rivals Azusa Pacific University on Saturday afternoon in back-to-back games. The Eagles came out swinging in game one and were able to match the same energy in the second game, sweeping the Cougars 5-1 and 2-0.

CATCHING FIRE

Game one was essentially won in the beginning minutes, as the Eagles scored all five of their runs in the bottom of the second inning. The scoring frenzy began with a home run from senior catcher Kayla Neff. Soon to follow was freshman outfielder Maddie Riley who scored off of junior shortstop Ruth Munoz’s single.

With the Eagles up 2-0, sophomore left-handed pitcher Jennifer Morinishi hit a single to right field that brought Munoz, freshman outfielder Allie Beck and sophomore infielder Kiana Meriales through home plate.

The remainder of the game was quiet, as both teams remained scoreless. APU was able to muster up a single run in the top of the sixth, but it was not enough to come back from Biola’s mighty second inning, granting the Eagles the victory, 5-1.

CLUTCH TIME

Game two showed the same lack of offensive gains from the Cougars. APU had a rough night at bat, and Biola capitalized off of it. The Eagles only scored one run in the bottom of the first inning, thanks to Munoz. Both teams went cold for several innings until freshman shortstop Rilee Ruvalcaba hit a single into right field, advancing freshman catcher Brie Norwak to second and bringing Riley home for the Eagles’ final run of the game. Azusa was unable to match Biola’s scoring, leaving the Eagles to secure game two as well, 2-0.

The Eagles now advance to 17-11 overall and will take on Concordia University Irvine for a doubleheader on Friday, April 23 starting at 2 p.m.