Men and women swim are named Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference Champions

Biola brings home the first PCSC title in swim program history.

Coach+Ryan+Kauth+jumping+in+the+pool+with+the+womens+swim+team+after+being+announced+the+champions.+

Courtesy of Ryan Kauth

Coach Ryan Kauth jumping in the pool with the women’s swim team after being announced the champions.

Natalie Hernandez, Deputy Sports Editor

Both men and women swim and dive teams headed to Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference Championships on Wednesday, April 14. The three-day event took place in Irvine, Calif. at the Woollett Aquatic Center. Both Eagles teams placed No. 1 and were given the title of PCSC Champions. This title is the first for the Biola swim program.

PLUNGING INTO THE POOL

The first event for the men was the 200-yard freestyle relay which the Eagles won. Freshman Jake Michelsen, sophomores Tanner Smith, Jonas Huckabay and Patrick Waggoner had a finishing time of 1:25.53. Waggoner placed first in the 200-yard IM, 200-yard freestyle and finished first out of 66 men. Freshman Matthew Trejo placed first in the 100-yard freestyle with a finishing time of 49.35 seconds. The men finished in first place overall out of seven schools with a total of 957 points.

THE CROWNED CHAMPIONS

The women dived right in and had an extremely successful three days of competition. Sophomore Kolya Vos placed in the 500-yard freestyle first with a finishing time of 5:01.63. Vos placed first in the 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and was also awarded Swimmer of the Meet. Freshman Meghan Tolman placed first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.80 seconds and placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:02.72. 

Sophomore Audrey Vermeulen placed first for the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:48.00, and freshman Grace Kling placed first in the 200-yard breaststroke with 2:17.43. The women also placed first in the 800-yard freestyle relay, with Tolman, Vos, sophomores Liza Parahnevich and Kellynn Hayes finishing the race with a time of 7:34.54. The women finished first out of 12 schools, with a total of 1,494 points. 

With the season complete, the Biola swim program can rest easy knowing they have earned the 2021 title of PCSC Champions.