Softball divided by APU

The Eagles lost in a close game to Azusa Pacific University, but were able to shift the momentum and win game two, 4-2.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola softball traveled to Azusa Pacific University on Wednesday afternoon to take on the Cougars in their first of two back-to-back doubleheaders. Game one was hard fought, but was taken by APU, 3-2. However, the Eagles were able to overcome their tough first game loss by winning the second matchup, 4-2.

GAME ONE HEARTBREAKER

Game one started off rusty with both teams remaining scoreless throughout the first two innings. It was not until the Golden Eagles found a way to score three runs in the bottom of the third, quickly putting them up 3-0. It took Biola until the top of the fifth inning to find the scoreboard. Freshman outfielder Maddie Riley scored on a throw to third. With freshman third baseman Kaitlyn Hawkins now resting on third, senior left fielder Jennifer Morinishi’s grounder pushed the base leaders into positive rotation, and sent Hawkins across home plate. With a score of 2-3, the Eagles found themselves back in the game. However, both teams did not produce any further runs the rest of the game, putting the Eagles just short of victory, losing 2-3.

GAME TWO SUCCESS

Game two began with the Eagles looking to make a shift. After a scoreless first inning from both teams, Biola scored two runs in the top of the second. A single from freshman first baseman Abie Nowalk forced runners to circulate, and thanks to a throwing error on APU’s end, the Eagles were able to extend movement with freshman pitcher Raylene Roybal and senior outfielder Haley Martinez running through to home plate, scoring the first two runs of the night.

Another two scoreless innings went by for both teams. However, Biola once again scored another two runs in the top of the fifth inning. Senior catcher Kayla Neff singled to center field, advancing runners and junior shortstop Ruth Munoz to home plate. Within minutes, a single by freshman catcher Brie Nowak forced Neff to third and sophomore outfielder Maddison Blossey to go home, scoring the fourth and final run of the night for the Eagles. The Cougars went on to score a single run in the bottom of the fifth and sixth inning, but it was not enough to overcome the momentum created by Biola, who earned the victory, 4-2.

The Eagles now sit at 9-9 overall. They will remain in Azusa, Calif. for the back end of the two doubleheaders against the Cougars which will be played on Friday, March 26 starting at 4 p.m.