Tennis battles Metro State University

The men’s tennis team took a tough loss to the Roadrunners, 3-4, while the women found victory over MSU Denver, 5-2.

Sophomore+Alex+Sedeno+jumps+to+hit+the+ball+during+Biolas+match+against+Metro+State.+

Marlena Lang // THE CHIMES

Sophomore Alex Sedeno jumps to hit the ball during Biola’s match against Metro State.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola men’s and women’s tennis hosted the Metro State University Roadrunners at the Biola Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon. The men put up a good fight, but ultimately fell to MSU 3-4. The women bounced back for Biola and produced a win for the Eagles, 5-2.

MEN SWIPED

The men found one victory out of the three doubles matches played today. Senior Erik Martinez and sophomore Sebastian Herrera squeaked by with the No. 3 victory with a 7-6 defeat over the Roadrunners. Both duos of sophomore Alex Sedeno and freshman Isaac Cordova and sophomores Alexei Prokopchuk and Antonio Rosales Varona lost to MSU, 2-6.

However, the singles matches showed more fight, as three Eagles reigned superior in the individual sets. Prokopchuk won the No. 1 singles 6-1, 6-4. Herrera took his individuals to three rounds, winning the final 6-4. Cordova also beat his No. 4 singles opponent with two scores of 6-4. Sophomore Andres Meneses, Sedeno and Varona all fell to MSU, resulting in a final defeat of 4-3.

WOMEN DOMINATE SINGLES

The women stepped up for Biola, but it was a rough start for the lady Eagles, as they lost all three doubles matches. It wasn’t until the single sets began that Biola began to make leeway to victory.

Freshman Colbyshae Emery swept her opponent in the No. 1 doubles, 6-0. Sophomores Ines Diaz and Mary Brascia both won their individual matches 6-4 while freshman Brook Fager won her No. 3 singles with ease, 6-1. Freshman Lilly McNeill had a tougher battle, taking her singles to three sets, but winning the last two, 6-3. Only freshman Gaby Carvajal fell to the Roadrunners, 3-6.

The men’s team moves to 6-4 overall and the lady Eagles to 10-2. Both teams will return to the courts on Thursday, March 25 at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. against Westmont College.