Softball splits San Diego

The Eagles bounced back from an early loss to defeat the Toreros in game two.

Natalie Hernandez // THE CHIMES

The Eagles huddle together before their game.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola softball traveled South on Wednesday afternoon to compete in a doubleheader against the University of San Diego Toreros. The Eagles were coming off of back-to-back losses taken yesterday at Freedom Field looking to flip the switch, but were only able to snag one game, 3-2.

HALFWAY THERE

Game one was commanded by San Diego. The Eagles did not score a single run the entire game as the Toreros found a run in the bottom of the second and third during the bottom of the sixth. Senior catcher Kayla Neff and sophomore center fielder Madison Blossey were the only two Eagles to each get a single hit.

Going into game two, the Eagles were determined to get on the scoreboard. After quickly going down 0-1 in the bottom of the first, Biola scored their first run of the night with freshman outfielder Maddie Riley crossing home plate. USD matched the inning by scoring another run, but that would be their last score of the night. The Eagles went on to find two runs in the top of the fifth and seventh. Blossey rested on third but swiftly tied the game at 2-2 when she came home off of sophomore pitcher Jennifer Morinishi’s single up the middle. In a final stride to win the game during the seventh, junior second baseman Kylie Velasco grounded up to shortstop and Morinishi scored on the throw, winning game two for the Eagles, 3-2.

The Eagles (4-7) will head back home to host the Dominican University of California Penguins in another doubleheader on Friday, March 19 at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.