Men’s and women’s tennis sweeps WNM

The Eagles defeated both sides of the Western New Mexico University Mustangs in Tuesday afternoon’s matches.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola tennis hosted the Western New Mexico Mustangs at the Biola Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon. Both the men and women’s teams are on impressive winning streaks, and each continued reign as the men won 4-0 and the women 5-0.

SWEEPING STREAKS

The men found two of the three doubles matches to go in their favor. Senior Erik Martinez and sophomore Sebastian Herrera won the No. 2 doubles with a 6-2 victory. Sophomores Andres Meneses and Alex Sedeno rounded out the No. 3 doubles with a 6-3 win. Sophomores Alexei Prokopchuk and Antonio Rosales Varona ended the No. 1 doubles with a tied score of five. When the time came for the singles matches, only three of the six total were completed. Sedeno, Meneses and Martinez all won their individual matches in two sets. Prokopchuk, Herrera and Varona all left the courts with their singles unfinished.

The women followed in the footsteps of the men with a demanding sweep over the Mustangs. Freshmen Brooke Fager and Lilly McNeill won their No. 2 doubles with a commanding score of 6-1. Freshman Colbyshae Emery and sophomore Mary Brascia also defeated their No. 1 opponents with a 6-1 victory. Freshmen Amelia Kitts and Gaby Carvajal ended with a score of 4-1 in their No. 3 doubles. The women finished four of their six individuals as Carvajal and sophomore Ines Diaz left unfinished. Senior Madison Swaney, Emery and Fager all defeated their singles opponents 6-1. Brascia went for a clean sweep, winning both sets 6-0.

The women (9-2) will look to extend their seven-game winning streak on March 23 at 4 p.m. as they host Metro State University of Denver. The men (6-3) will host Azusa Pacific University on Saturday, March 20 at 1 p.m.