Women’s golf competes in the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout

The Eagles take second place and have two golfers place Top 5.
Photo courtesy of File // THE CHIMES

Women’s golf is staying consistent as the Eagles placed second overall in the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout in Alameda, Calif. at Corcia Park Golf Course on March 1-2. This tournament was hosted by the Dominican University of California Penguins. Biola competed for two days along with seven schools and were able to finish in second the first day. By the end of day two they were second place overall as a school.

The Eagles struggled going into day one and tied for second place only being 4 strokes behind the leading Penguins. On day one junior Sami Penor sat in second place finishing off day one shooting even on the par 72 course. Senior Rachel Reynolds joined Penor in the Top 5 with a fourth place finishing day one at 75. 

SECOND DAY SALVATION

Even though Biola was tied for second place finishing day one, they were able to pull ahead come day two. Penor was the top Eagles finisher in this week’s tournament finishing with a score of 148 over the two days and she secured a spot in third place. Just like day one Reynolds secured her fourth spot place, finishing the tournament with a 155. The Eagles’ finishing score was at 314, just 26-over par wrapping up day two. The Eagles were able to secure second place, just nine shots behind the Penguins and first place for the tournament. 

Women’s golf will head to The Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, Ariz. for the Western New Mexico Tournament hosted by the Western New Mexico University Mustangs. The tournament is April 2-3 all day. 

About the Contributor
Natalie Hernandez
Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor
Natalie Hernandez is a junior journalism major who loves cooking with her boyfriend, enjoys photo adventures, and new experiences. [email protected] I was born and raised in California, but I have always moved around. Although I have always lived here I have never missed the opportunity to get out of LA. My father is an immigrant and my mother is first-generation Mexican. I am the first in my family to attend college and I am proud of that. School does not come easy to me and I am glad I have pushed myself. I went to college in Seattle, WA but moved back due to my mother getting sick. When I got back to LA, I hit the ground running. I enrolled in community college and started working. I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I took one photography class and I knew this is what I want to do. My love for journalism, photography, and sports started on the sidelines of my high school football field. Every single game junior-senior year you could find me on the sidelines taking photos or getting a quote from a coach. I have never been athletic but I enjoy watching and learning about all different sports. I love telling stories. This is just my first year at Biola as a transfer student and first semester at The Chimes but I can’t wait to see what the future holds.