Biola swim team break records in Nevada

Twelve student-athlete swimmers compete to make the NCAA cuts.

Natalie Hernandez, Deputy Sports Editor

Twelve men and women from Biola’s swim team headed to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Feb. 13 to make cuts for the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Overall the Eagles made six new school records and had six swims qualify for the NCAA Division II ‘B’ standard.

SWIMMING STANDARDS

Sophomore Patrick Waggoner broke his own record in the 200-meter freestyle with a finishing time of 1:40.59 and was within the NCAA qualifying time. Sophomore Tanner Smith qualified in the 100-meter freestyle with a finishing time of :45.33.

The women also made NCAA qualifying standards. Junior Katelyn Harper qualified in the 400 IM with a finishing time of 4:28.78. Following was sophomore Kolya Vos in the 200-meter freestyle finishing at 1:52.58. Both were better than the ‘B’ standard. Vos also made the qualifying standard in the 100-freestyle with a time of :50.84.

BREAKING RECORDS

Freshman Matthew Trejo was the first to break a Biola record, finishing at 50.47 seconds in the 100-meter butterfly. He beat Biola’s previous record and it is now his personal best. Freshman Meghan Tolman annihilated the women’s 100-meter breaststroke with a finishing time of 1:03.20. The record was previously held by Biola Athletics Hall of Famer, Lisa Tixier.  

Smith smashed the previous record for the 100-meter backstroke, finishing at 50.93 seconds. Another broken record was in the 200-meter medley relay. Smith, Trejo, sophomore Jonas Huckabay and sophomore James Gamette finished at 1:33.64, beating the old record of 1:33.80.

The Eagles’ women (4-0) and men (2-1) will go up against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo at the Anderson Aquatic Center, Saturday Feb. 27.