Biola swim and dive continue down the path of victory

Both the men and women won against Fresno Pacific University in Saturday afternoon’s meets.

Natalie Hernandez, Deputy Sports Editor

Biola swim and dive secured another win this season against the Fresno Pacific University Sunbirds. Last week the Eagles annihilated the Simpson University Red Hawks and Westmont Warriors in their tri-meet. 

In today’s meet at home versus the Sunbirds, the women secured a fourth and the men gained their second victory. Today was also the first time that the Eagles dive team competed. The women’s final score was 161-54 and the men finished with a score of 133-93.

LEAPING LADIES

The women dived right in, sophomore Ashley Vitale and freshman Eliana Cote topped off the stat sheet for diving. The Eagles secured 13 points in the 1-meter diving event. Vitale also gained nine points being at the top of the 3-meter dive event.

A SWIMMING SUCCESS

The Eagles won 16 out of 26 events in today’s meet versus the Sunbirds. For the women in the 100-yard breaststroke freshman Grace Kling was at the top with a time of 1:08.05. In the 50-yard freestyle freshman Meghan Tolman gained nine points and had a finishing time of 24.63. In the 500-yard freestyle sophomore Audrey Vermeulen went the distance to gain nine points and a finishing time of 5:29.54. 

The men dominated for the second time this season. In the 1000-yard freestyle freshman Michael Maurer had a finishing time of 10:05.47. Sophomore Gabe Weber was at the top in the 200-yard freestyle finishing at 1:45.44. Sophomore Nathan Schwantes topped the men 200 IM, finishing up at 2:01.65. 

The Eagles sank the Sunbirds in the 400-yard freestyle in both the women’s and men’s event. The lady Eagles had a finishing time of 3:40.79 and the men brought it home at 3:09.58.

The Eagles’ women (4-0) and men (2-1) will go up against University of Nevada, Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, Feb. 13.