Men’s soccer shut down by PLNU

The Eagles fall in their first matchup of the season.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Men’s soccer traveled down south to San Diego for their first PacWest game of the 2021 season. What always proves to be a challenging matchup was no different today, as the Eagles  fell 0-2 to the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions.

The game kicked-off slow on both ends. The two teams have not competed in a regular-season matchup since late fall of 2019—so the rustiness of the boys is no shock. The first 45 minutes were unproductive as the Eagles and Sea Lions went to the locker room at the half, both scoreless.

Point Loma entered the back end of the game with a newfound determination, finding the back of the net twice on 18 shots. Unfortunately, the activity of the Sea Lions was not matched by Biola, who could not advance off of their four shots. The Eagles gave it their best shot with solid defense, saving twice as many attempts as PLNU. Sophomore goalkeeper JD Gunn collected three saves from in front of the net, but the defensive effort was not enough to outweigh the lack of offense on Biola’s end, and the clock ran out with Point Loma on top, 2-0.

The Eagles (0-1) will return home to Al Barbour Field to meet Concordia University Irvine next week on Wednesday, Feb. 10 at 4 p.m.