Women’s basketball falls to PLNU

The long offseason is still showing its effects as the Eagles fall to the Sea Lions, 64-72.

Photo by Hannah Clark/ THE CHIMES

Junior guard Tatum Brimley dribbles during Biola’s loss to APU on Dec. 15, 2018. The Cougars also won the rematch of the two rival schools on Jan. 19.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola basketball is back. The revised COVID-friendly schedule resumed on Jan. 16 for the lady Eagles where they secured the victory over Northwest Nazarene University. However, since then, it has been a slow start for head coach Alan Nakamura’s team.

Two back-to-back losses to rivals Azusa Pacific University are now accompanied by another loss from today’s matchup with the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions, 64-72.

Nonetheless, Biola came to showout. Sophomore guard Stephanie Lee topped off the stat sheet with 19 points and five rebounds. Sophomore forward Jordan Rabe followed closely behind with eight rebounds and 16 points on 7 of 10 shooting from the field. Senior forward Jazz Benn helped in the fight by racking up 12 points of her own.

FOURTH QUARTER FRENZY

The afternoon started out solid for the Eagles. It was a back-and-forth battle in the first two quarters, where Biola only found themselves down one point at the half. The momentum carried into the third, but a spark went out in the final minutes during the fourth.

The downfall of the Eagles came from their inability to keep up with the Sea Lion’s bench. Point Loma found 34 of their total points coming from second and third string players, while Biola only produced 18 total points. Point Loma proceeded to go on a 26-9 run to end the game, granting them the victory, 72-64.

The Eagles (1-3) will return home to Chase Gymnasium with the Sea Lions on Saturday, Jan. 30 in a back-to-back matchup starting at 2 p.m. The live-stream game footage is available on Biola Athletics’ webpage.