Spring Convocation calls students to give their allegiance to Christ

As Biolans begins their second online semester, students are reminded to focus on Christ rather than be divided by the world.

Bethsabe Camacho, Deputy News Editor

On Jan. 25, Biola kicked off its spring semester through an online version of convocation via YouTube live. The live stream opened up with a time of worship and prayer led by Dean of Spiritual Development and Campus Pastor Todd Pickett.

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

President Barry Corey welcomed back current and new students for the semester. He also addressed the loss of two Biola students who died after contracting the coronavirus, Alondra Barragan and Daniel Corona.

Corey also reminded students of their need to focus their allegiance to Christ rather than to the world. He explained that it is necessary to fulfill their duty of serving Christ despite everything happening around them. 

“Your allegiance is not to a political party, it’s not to a social agenda,” Corey said. “Your allegiance is first and foremost to a king whose name is Jesus.”

He continued by calling students to stand out from the crowd and encouraged them to be role models to the world by uniting around the cross of Christ.

FUTURE EVENTS

Vice President of Student Development André Stephens highlighted several events virtually taking place. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday and national holiday, Biola is hosting MLKDAY 2021. The Director of Intercultural Education and Research Walter Augustine will share a gospel-centered vision for racial reconciliation.

The 25th annual Student Congress of Racial Reconciliation, attended by hundreds of students and college professionals from Christian universities all across the country, will take place Feb. 17-20.

Though the date has yet to be announced, Missions Conference will take place this semester after abruptly being canceled the previous year due to COVID-19.

Although Biola is phasing the return of students onto campus, Stephens believes that both those in person and online will continue to receive a rich Biola experience through some of these events.

“We are back in action this spring and will enjoy life together,” Stephens said.