Biola’s reopening plans remain unknown according to recent email

Biola delays communication, citing lack of decision making from Los Angeles County as the cause.

Ashley Grams, News Editor

Biola Internal Communications announced another delay regarding spring semester reopening plans in an email on Dec. 1. Although the university hoped to have their plans approved by the Los Angeles Department of Public Health and communicate with students by today, they have extended the update to Dec. 10. 

“Unfortunately, the LADPH had still not settled on its revised guidelines for the spring,” the email read. “In light of this, the President’s Cabinet with other experts met this week to discuss our intentions to phase students back to campus in the spring term.”

SEMESTER START DATES

On Oct. 29 the university shared that some spring semester classes will be starting on Jan. 11 and some, including most traditional and graduate classes, will begin on Jan. 25. Today’s email informed students that all classes have been updated on My Account to reflect their new start times.

CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADING POLICY

The email also confirmed that Biola will not offer a credit/no credit grading option similar to what was offered last spring. 

“The temporary policy of CR/NC offered in Spring 2020 was available due to students needing to pivot quickly and assist students who suffered academically due to the sudden change; however, minimal students opted for the CR/NC grade,” the email stated. 

The university is encouraging students to contact their professors personally about their grades. Students are also able “to request an Incomplete (IN) grade or appeal a grade in a class” if they are struggling.