SGA Rundown: Reaching out virtually

SGA records first podcast episode with President Barry Corey.

Ashley Grams, News Editor

The Student Government Association gathered Thursday afternoon to train personnel, discuss social media engagement plans and advocate for student mental health.

MEDIA UPDATES

SGA is pursuing more avenues to connect with students remotely, including Instagram, the Biola App and audio platforms. As interaction increases, SGA hopes to better serve their constituents. 

President Keren Godwin recorded SGA’s first podcast, titled “The Inbetween,” with President Barry Corey. The podcast is monitored by Enrollment, Marketing and Communication and will be shared on SoundCloud via The Torch on Sept. 14.  

“It’s a really big thing, hopefully that will engage students and just keep them in the loop about things that are going on on campus,” Godwin said.

Godwin hopes the podcast will emulate conversations that SGA has with staff and faculty.

Students will also have the opportunity to meet their senators and SGA staff virtually. On Tuesdays staff members will be introduced via Instagram, vice president of marketing and communications Michael McKay said. 

BUDGET

Vice president of finance, IT and HR Noa Wilding hopes the budget will be finalized next week. When it is finalized, it will be shared with the public along with the simplified budget.

STUDENTS WE SERVE: MENTAL HEALTH

In hopes of continuing to connect with their constituents, senators receive weekly updates on important topics around campus from their diversity coordinator, Debra Mlambo. This week, her team titled Students We Serve focused on advocating for mental health as most colleges around the nation transition to fully online classes and students are facing unique challenges.