Biola suspends all spring sports competition

Due to the spread of COVID-19, all sporting events will be canceled until March 30.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

The PacWest Conference has officially suspended all sporting events through March 30 over concerns of the novel coronavirus. All 16 Biola Athletics programs will cancel their conference and non-conference games effective immediately. A reassessment will be made at the end of the month.

NCAA President Mark Emmert, along with the NCAA Board of Governors, released a statement on March 12 saying all remaining winter and spring championship games will be canceled.

We take the health and safety of our community, the University, student-athletes and staff very seriously and will continue to advocate for our student-athletes and the student-athlete experience at Biola,” said Senior Director of Athletics Bethany Miller in an email to student athletes. “Currently, we are working with officials at the PacWest Conference and NCAA to ensure that we can make the best of this difficult situation.”

The decision to cancel all championship games comes a day after the NBA suspended its season due to Utah Jazz forward Rudy Gobert testing positive for the coronavirus. According to ESPN, tests were given to players and staff of the Jazz along with the Oklahoma City Thunder, whom the Jazz were about to tip off with when a medical worker rushed the floor to cancel the game. 

Only one other player has tested positive, Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell. With multiple teams in self-quarantine to help stall any progression the spread might have made within the league, all games have been canceled until further notice.