Biola softball wins second doubleheader in Hawaii

The Eagles’ resilience led them to victory against Chaminade.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

Biola softball showed their class against Chaminade University of Honolulu on Tuesday, March 10. They dominated both Tuesday’s games in Hawaii in the final half of their four-game series against the Silverswords, winning game one 4-3 and game two 3-0.

BEGINNING BATTLE

The Eagles’ first game of the day was tighter than they would have liked. Senior Paula Damas started on the mound, quickly giving up one run in the first inning. Two scoreless innings followed before freshman infielder Loren Meza scored for BU to tie the game at 1-1 in the top of the fourth. 

The Eagles carried that momentum, bringing home three runs in the top of the fifth. Sophomore center fielder Jennifer Morinishi’s single down center field brought sophomore first baseman Kiana Meriales home. Soon after, senior catcher Kayla Neff’s double to left field allowed junior shortstop Ruth Munoz and Moinishi to score, putting BU up 4-1.

The Silverswords scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth to bring the score to 4-3. However, junior Paige Austin came in to pitch for the Eagles and closed the game out, keeping Chaminade scoreless and securing the win for BU.

CLOSING OUT STRONG

In the second game of the day, the Eagles’ dominance was clear to see. Austin continued to pitch this game, and was able to keep the Silverswords off the scoreboard for the whole game. The Eagles started their scoring spree in the second inning, as sophomore left-fielder Caitlin Fowble’s single brought home sophomore right fielder Sicili Brittingham. 

They then closed out the game in the fourth inning, where Brittingham smashed a home-run to left-center field, making the score 2-0. Freshman shortstop Rilee Ruvalcaba brought home the Eagles’ third and final run, granting them the 3-0 win.

The Eagles (18-5 overall, 13-3 PacWest) will return to Freedom Field to face Dominican University of California in a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 17 at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.