Softball splits Silverswords

The Eagles took game one of the Hawaii doubleheader against Chaminade University, but fell short in game two.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Eagles softball took a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii on March 9 to take on Chaminade University in a four-game series. Part one was played out on Monday evening in a doubleheader. Biola took the first game, 4-2, but faced defeat in the second as the Silverswords secured the victory, 1-2.

FIRST GAME SUCCESS

Chaminade was first on the boards after the bottom of the first inning. Biola, who remained scoreless all the way until the third inning, did not panic. A run by sophomore center fielder Jennifer Morinishi at the top of the third brought on by a single to third base from junior second baseman Kylie Velasco and tied the game for the Eagles. However, CU crossed the plate again shortly after Morinishi, putting the Silverswords back on top.

The next chance BU got, the Eagles put Chaminade on blast. The Eagles brought home three runs during the top of the fourth. Right fielder Sicili Brittingham found home plate, with junior shortstop Ruth Munoz and sophomore first baseman Kiana Meriales on third and second behind her. It didn’t take long for both Munoz and Meriales to cross the threshold as well, giving BU the 4-2 lead that would eventually be the final outcome.

SECOND GAME STRUGGLES

Game two was low scoring, with all of the runs made in the top and bottom of the seventh and final inning. After six scoreless innings, the Eagles finally found a run, thanks to a Meriales single to right field that left freshman third baseman Rilee Ruvalcaba to advance to third and Brittingham to score. However, the single run was not enough, and Chaminade surpassed the Eagles in the final leg of the game with two runs.

The Eagles (16-5 overall, 11-3 PacWest) will remain in Honolulu for round two of the four-game series with another doubleheader on Tuesday, March 10, with game one starting at 6:30 p.m. and game two at 8:30 p.m.