President Corey calls for prayer after student hospitalized in car accident

The student remains in a coma as of Saturday morning.

Brittany Ung and Austin Green

Nathan Lewis, a freshman business administration major, was hospitalized and remains in a coma after suffering head trauma in an accident Friday night, President Barry Corey said in a campus-wide email on Saturday at 11:20 a.m.

The collision occurred at the intersection of Figueras Road and San Esteban Drive in La Mirada, said Sgt. Michael Rinden of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department’s Norwalk Station

LASD received the anonymous report at 9:05 p.m. on Friday and is investigating the incident. The report listed the collision as an injury traffic collision, not a hit and run. 

Lewis was hit by a truck while longboarding in La Mirada with friends around 9 p.m. on Friday, according to a statement on his CaringBridge support page. Lewis was not wearing a helmet and suffered head and brain trauma. He was taken to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center.

“On behalf of Nathan and his family, we are calling the community to pray,” Corey said in the statement. “This is what we do. Please pray for Nathan’s healing, and pray for his family during this agonizing time of waiting at his side. We know how powerful and effective are the prayers of God’s people (James 5:16).”

Corey invited the community to pray together at the Collegium at 3 p.m. on Saturday. Grief counselors and members of Biola’s Pastoral Care team will be available at the gathering. 

Donations can be made via Lewis’s GoFundMe page.

Editor’s note: This article was updated on Feb. 22 at 11:56 p.m. to include Lewis’s GoFundMe page.