Women’s Volleyball loses at home to APU

The Eagles couldn’t find success as they drop three straight sets in last night’s loss to Azusa Pacific University.

Zachary Devane, Freelance Writer

The Eagles played rivals Azusa Pacific University on Saturday, Nov. 9, and after winning the first set, lost three in a row. Junior middle blocker Bekah Roth led the team with 11 kills, and junior librero Sami Hover led with 30 digs. This was volleyball’s second loss to APU this season.

STRONG START

The team, starting with four freshman tonight, came out strong in the first set. Multiple players combined for Biola’s 18 kills in this set including Roth, senior outside hitter Becca Branch, freshman setter Abby Brewster, freshman outside hitter Madison Beebe, and the two freshman middle blockers, Abigail Copeland and Reagan Tjempka. After APU called a timeout when the score was 18-18, the Eagles went on a 7-2 run to finish off the first set. 

The Cougars then came out for the second set and went on a 12-2 run. They went on to win the set 25-10. 

“They came out and played well, we didn’t know what to do with ourselves after playing well in game one, we just slowly fizzled away,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer.  

In this set, the Eagles only managed six kills and had eight errors. It was more of the same in the third set as APU again dominated, winning 25-13 with only six errors.

HEADS UP

“We worked really hard and played our hearts out, we will get them next time,” Tjempka said.  

This no-quit attitude was shown by the Eagles in the fourth set, where they were down 20-13, but then rallied it back to a four-point-game at 20-24. In this set, Roth tallied five of her eleven kills. However, that was not enough as APU closed the set out, winning the game 3-1. 

The Eagles (13-11, 10-6 PacWest) will be back in action again to face Hawaii Hilo University at home on Monday, Nov. 11 at 7 pm.