Volleyball suffers tough loss to Concordia University

The Eagles took CUI to five sets before falling to the Golden Eagles.

Biola+goes+in+for+the+strike+against+their+opponent+Concordia+Irvine+University+on+November+1%2C+2019.+

Andres Ramirez // THE CHIMES

Biola goes in for the strike against their opponent Concordia Irvine University on November 1, 2019.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Volleyball took to Irvine, California to battle it out against Concordia University Irvine. The Eagles put up a good fight early on, forcing the game into five sets. However, Biola could not pull through to victory, as they were overtaken by the Golden Eagles 2-3.

Biola won the first set, 26-24. The girls held a 7-2 lead early on which resulted in the win. However, the second set was all CUI as the Eagles faced backlash after losing the early lead, 20-25. Biola brought out the same energy they had for set one into set three. It was a back and forth matchup with several lead changes, but the Eagles managed to come out with the win, 27-25. The fourth and fifth sets were dominated by Concordia. Biola struggled to find rhythm and were shaken down by CUI, losing the final two sets 18-25, 9-15.

FIGHTING EAGLES

Freshman setter Abby Brewster helped her Eagles with their early successes by contributing 28 assists and 24 digs. Junior setter Vanessa Garcia put up 32 assists and a single ace in the attempted rally. Junior libero Sami Hover captured 33 digs and four assists while senior outside hitter Sabrina Winslow recorded 14 kills and five blocks. Senior outside hitter Becca Branch earned 16 digs while freshman middle blocker Abigail Copeland earned 13 kills.

The Eagles (12-10 overall, 9-5 PacWest) will return to the hardwood on Friday, Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. to face the Fresno Pacific University Sunbirds at Chase Gymnasium.