Library introduces text message notices

The automated system also lets students request information, renew materials and check the status of certain items.

Brittany Ung, News Editor

For a growing population of smartphone savvy patrons, the library now offers text message notifications. The library has partnered with Shoutbomb, a third-party vendor based in Northern California, to text courtesy messages to students who opt-in. 

MOBILE ORDER

After signing up for the service via their library account, students will receive text messages notifying them when materials are ready for pickup or are close to being due. The system also supports keyword commands, which students can use to complete a variety of tasks from their phones, including requesting information, renewing materials and checking the status of library items. Students will still receive courtesy notices via email, in addition to text messages.

CONFERENCE DEMO

Manager of Library Information Technology Simon Heres decided to implement text notices after a conference he attended about two years ago. He saw the service demonstrated by a vendor and thought Biola students could benefit from the convenience of text notices.

“The more we can provide opportunities for students to do things themselves, to manage things themselves from wherever they are, the better,” he said.

Since then, Heres has been working on getting the text system up and running. The notifications come through an outside vendor, but Heres said he worked with libraries at other schools to ensure the system protects patrons’ information security.