Volleyball leaves Hawaii with a loss

Last night, the Eagles fell to Hawaii Hilo, resulting in a 1-3 overall record for their Hawaii road trip.
Senior Becca Branch goes in for the spike.
Andres Ramirez // THE CHIMES

Volleyball wrapped up their third and final game in Hawaii on Saturday against Hawaii Hilo University. The night did not work in favor of the Eagles, as they return home with another loss at the hands of the Vulcans. Biola was defeated, 1-3, giving them a 1-3 overall record against the PacWest Hawaii teams.

HELL IN HAWAII

The Eagles started out strong in set one, able to snag a 25-23 win. However, Biola’s luck ran out and it was the Vulcans who were in control the rest of the night. The Eagles could not find the flow needed to propel them above HHU. Sets two and three showed some fight but to no gain. A 13-13 tie was marked before ending at 21-25 in the second. The third was more of the same, resulting in defeat, 19-25. Biola took a brutal blow in the fourth and final set. The Vulcans crushed the Eagles who shrunk in a 9-25 loss.

Junior setter Vanessa Garcia led her team with 16 assists. Senior outside hitter Becca Branch tallied nine digs, six kills and two blocks. Freshman setter Abby Brewster contributed to the efforts with 10 assists while teammate junior libero Sami Hover gave her best with 14 digs on the night.

The Eagles (8-9) and (5-4) in PacWest will return to the hardwood on Friday, Oct. 18 to take on the Academy of Art Urban Knights at Chase Gymnasium at 6 p.m.