Volleyball reigns over Point Loma

The Eagles defeated the PLNU Sea Lions 3-1 in a PacWest matchup.

Senior+outside+hitter+Becca+Branch+hits+the+ball+over+the+net.+

Andres Ramirez // THE CHIMES

Senior outside hitter Becca Branch hits the ball over the net.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola volleyball headed south to San Diego on Wednesday night to take on the Sea Lions of Point Loma Nazarene University. The Eagles were resilient, taking the night into four matches. It was a respectable win for BU who defeated a PacWest standout, 3-1.

SLUGGISH START

Set one was the lowest point of the night for the Eagles. PLNU took control of the opening minutes, quickly going up 14-8 and ultimately defeating Biola, 25-21.

RESILIENT FIGHTING

Set two was when the Eagles decided to show their wings. A switch was flipped, and Biola was now in command of the game with a 19-13 advantage. BU soared above the Sea Lions to the second match victory, 25-23. The energy from set two was carried into the third, where the Eagles went up 11-1 with nine consecutive rallies. Biola sealed the match at 25-21. PLNU was flustered from the Eagles defense. The Sea Lions record their fifth lowest hitting percentage thus far in the season.

It was more of the same in the final set of the night. The Eagles were consistent in remaining a step above the Sea Lions. BU brought the fourth match to a close at 25-20, which sealed the game as a whole in favor of the Eagles.

Junior middle blocker Bekah Roth led her team through the night by racking up 13 kills on .345 percentage, her personal season high and team high. Freshman setter Abby Brewster’s impact was felt with 17 assists, 11 digs and seven kills. Junior libero Sami Hover tallied up 24 digs while teammate Becca Branch collected 17 digs of her own. Freshman middle blocker Raegan Tjepkema recorded 11 kills for her Eagles.

The Eagles (7-6) will head into rival territory to battle Azusa Pacific University on Saturday Oct. 5 at 3 p.m.