Volleyball loses doubleheader in San Bernardino

The Eagles fall to Alaska Anchorage and CSUSB.
Junior middle blocker Bekah Roth spikes the ball.
Courtesy of Biola Athletics

The Eagles traveled to San Bernardino Friday to take on the Alaska Anchorage Seawolves and CSU San Bernardino Coyotes. Biola put up their best efforts, yet found themselves defeated by both competitors, 2-3 and 1-3, respectively.

The first matchup of the night was a tight one. The Eagles started out sluggish but picked up the intensity during a fourth-set win, which in turn forced a fifth-set against the AAU Seawolves. Senior outside-hitter Sabrina Winslow took charge with 21 kills, parallel to her career-high. Junior setter Vanessa Garcia let her presence made known by putting up her fourth double-double with 12 digs and 28 assists. Senior outside-hitter Becca Branch contributed to the efforts with 11 kills, and freshman setter Abby Brewster racked up 10 digs and eight assists. Biola kept the energy high leading 10-5, but let the game slip out of reach in the end.

No. 2 CSUSB TAKEOVER

The second game verses CSUSB showed some fatigue from the Eagles. Biola lost the first set 15-25 but bounced back in the second to snag a win, 25-23. However, the momentum stopped there as Coyotes took control and the Eagles fell in the final two matches, 15-25, 14-25. Junior libero Sami Hover put up 21 digs and four assists for her team while Brewster finished the game with 10 digs, eight kills and eight assists. Garcia ended with 16 assists and teammate Branch walked home with 13 digs in the Eagles’ second loss of the night.

The Eagles (2-4) will return to the court on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 1:30 p.m. against Simon Fraser University at the San Bernardino Coussoulis Arena.