Meet your 2019-2020 senatorial candidates

This year’s senate race features a two-way competition for the Horton senator position.

Brittany Ung, Deputy News Editor

Editor’s note: The candidates’ responses to the following Q&A were received by email and have been edited slightly for style.

Keren Godwin | Horton Hall

Year: Freshman

Major: Communication Studies

Why do you want to represent your community / dorm in SGA?

“My slogan is, ‘Give your story a voice.’ Every passion has a story which [it] stems from, and I am sure Horton residents have many amazing stories to share. Horton has such a loving, energetic community, and I would love to represent the passions and stories of such a community in SGA.”

Why do you think you’re qualified to take on such a big role?

“Although the role of being Horton senator is very large, being in a large leadership position is not new to me. I have just come out of high school with two consecutive years of experience as class president, which I believe has prepared me in many ways for the roles of a job such as Horton senator. Although I have been in other leadership positions, such as being my [high school] tennis team captain and worship leader at my church, being class president taught me that leadership is mainly about humility and service. I am willing and ready to serve Horton and [its] residents, as well as SGA, in any and every way I possibly can.”

Anna Hartmann | Horton Hall

Year: Sophomore

Major: Public Relations

“I want to represent Horton because, simply put, I love this dorm. I have called Horton home for the last three semesters and have been amazed by the community that I have found within it. In becoming Horton’s senator, I would hope to continue building a healthy community for everyone to find a home in.”

“As I mentioned above, I am a public relations major. The main purpose of PR is to establish healthy relationships between organizations and their publics. Likewise, I want to establish a healthy relationship between the residents of Horton and administration. I have lived in Horton for a little over a year and a half now, and because of this, I feel that I know a lot of the ins and outs of Horton and its community. I want to advocate for the wants and needs of this dorm to make it an even better place for everyone to live in. I love Horton, but I also know it could be improved. With elections right around the corner, know that if elected I will always advocate for what the residents of Horton want. Together, we can make Horton an even better dorm to live in.”

Max Jackson | Horton Hall

Year: Freshman

Major: Business

“I want to represent the people of Horton to engage a problem of in-groups and out-groups. I want to unite the Biola community as one and eliminate the ‘us’ from ‘them’ mentality that occurs on campus.”

“I’m qualified for this role because I am passionate about finance and budgeting, and I’ll ensure that Horton is making the proper money moves. If elected I refuse to allow my position to shift my paradigm of myself. Everyone is equal in my eyes regardless of social or economic status, and I won’t let the power of being senator deceive myself that I am of greater status than anyone else.”

Nathan Jensen | Stewart Hall

Year: Freshman

Major: Biochemistry

“I want to represent my dorm for a few reasons. The first being that I love the Stewart community and the people within it. The second reason is that I want to help this community in any way that I can, and I believe that as senator I can help the Stewart community get what they want.”

“I believe that I am qualified to take on such a role because I have experience being in representative positions for groups that I have been involved in. In addition, I also have good communication skills that I could use toward the students that I could be representing and toward SGA as a whole.”

Blake Saathoff | Blackstone Hall

Year: Freshman

Major: Business

“I want to represent my dorm and my community the best I can. My goal is to hear what the people want and be the outlet to make that happen. I am not promising anything specific because I specifically want to hear what my dorm wants to see happen and work on those first while continuing what Tobias has started in Blackstone.”

“I believe everyone has their own personal strengths and weaknesses, and my strengths fit this role to represent my dorm. I have had various opportunities to be a leader at church and on my campus, and this role further challenges me while giving me the opportunity to use my strength and experience. My goal [is] to use my community and their strengths to make [an] atmosphere of positive change, while being a representative for that action.”

Jonan-Rohi Plueger | Off Campus Community

Year: Freshman

Major: Physics

“The efforts of one of the current commuter senators, Naomi Hidalgo, have inspired me to take an active role in the state of my fellow commuter students. I believe that my vision for commuter-friendly events—events that deliberately foster friendships and cultivate connections—will fill a great need in our large student body, not just for commuters, but for everyone. I want to represent commuters because I can’t let the opportunity to help slip by.”

“I believe I am qualified to represent the large body of commuters because of my God-given initiative, responsibility and creativity, and because I will have the support of my fellow commuters and SGA senators during my career. If I see a tangible cause that I can aid significantly, it is not in my nature to just forget about it. It is hard for me to be lazy when faced with responsibilities. I know that I can push through and do it well—and I know I’ll have help.”