SGA president adds new positions to executive team

McCoy implements large-scale changes to Biola’s student government.

Vice+President+of+Diversity+Mindy+Kim+talks+during+a+Student+Government+Association+meeting+in+Fall+2018.+

Amber Chen/ THE CHIMES

Vice President of Diversity Mindy Kim talks during a Student Government Association meeting in Fall 2018.

Julianna Hernandez, News Editor

Before Student Government Association president Sierra McCoy leaves office at the end of this semester, she intends to leave a lasting impact on how SGA operates, which includes creating new positions for what she says will produce greater efficiency.

Currently, there are five vice president positions on SGA’s executive board. McCoy intends to add a vice president of marketing for a sixth in effort to increase communication with students. The position of community coordinator will also be added this upcoming year, which will report to the vice president of community relations and help with senator newsletters and SGA outreach. This position is similar to the current marketing coordinator role, which will be elevated to the vice president spot.

McCoy will also remove the position of diversity coordinator, which serves under the vice president of diversity. This decision was made to ease the load of the incoming vice president of diversity. The person set to fill this executive position for the upcoming year will be hired in the coming weeks before the rest of SGA’s next executive board, so they can train longer with current Vice President of Diversity Mindy Kim.

“Diversity’s such a deep, deep, deep thing, and it’s hard to take on this position and be able to train someone really well in it as well, when you’re trying to figure out how to function in SGA overall,” McCoy said. “Because it can be really overwhelming to learn how SGA works, and also learn how to be active and effective in this position, so we don’t want to throw somebody into this position, and then also expect them to train a diversity coordinator.”

Upcoming elections

McCoy will implement these changes as her administration hands leadership off to next year’s SGA staff. SGA campaigns will take place from Feb. 3 to Feb. 11, and students will be able to vote in elections for next year’s SGA president and senate on Feb. 11 and Feb. 12. The winners will be announced on Feb. at 10 p.m.

“The reason why I’m doing this is SGA has changed my life and has served its purpose in making me a better leader, so I want to make sure that all the work that I’m able to do in this whole remodel is re-purposed and allows SGA’s future to grow in a way that they deserve and not feel limited,” McCoy said.