Chapel speaker encourages Biola to learn from MLK’s dream

The first Biola Hour of the spring 2019 semester challenges Biola to develop multi-ethnic bonds.

Photo Courtesy of Mindy Kim/ SEID

Micah Kim, Deputy News Editor

In preparation for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Biola Hour hosted Fellowship Monrovia lead pastor Albert Tate on Friday to discuss King’s impact and the importance of multi-ethnicity in the church.

THE DREAM

Tate answered questions from Biola Hour host and assistant dean of chapels and worship Mike Ahn. Tate initially described Martin Luther King Jr.’s impact on his own life.

“He was part of our discipleship, who we were and how we saw God moving throughout the generations of our people,” Tate said during the event. “Someone that can move people with that passion, oratory and inspiration it just leaves you in awe.”

He continued to talk about his aspirations of racial unity within the kingdom of God, as inspired by King.

“When I think about the training that I get to now provide, I want to make sure that people see themselves in their training,” Tate said. “To capture the different elements of culture that has shaped who we are, because that is the fullness of the body of Christ.”

ACHIEVING THE DREAM

The session dove deeper into multi-ethnic acceptance and understanding. As Tate referred to Paul’s metaphors in 1 Corinthians of developing fingers and arms in order to progress through a diverse kingdom, he challenged the audience to consider the subject more deeply.

“If you really want the answer, it’s disruptive. It’s the easiest way to grow a church to get people that look alike, live alike, vote alike,” Tate said. “That’s the way to grow a church, but it’s not how you grow the kingdom of God.”

Tate also constantly emphasized that the duty to pursue cultural diversity in our Christian society is not something to take on lightly. To be intentional and consistent was proposed as the key point to a better multi-ethnic Christian society.

“You got to make the vision of multi-ethnicity beyond just some staffing structural strategy,” Tate said. “Sunday morning can’t be multi-ethnic unless your Saturday night is multi-ethnic.”

DISCUSSING THE DREAM

After 15 minutes of interview questions from Ahn, students asked additional questions based on how to practically approach and process the previously discussed matter of multi-ethnicity.

There were also questions regarding Martin Luther King Jr., creating an informative discussion as the federal holiday in his name approaches.

Junior worship major Kenny Ho felt encouraged and inspired through Tate’s interaction with the audience.

“He was definitely funny, he was a pro at capturing the audience’s attention,” Ho said. “What really encouraged me was when he shared [a verse from Revelation]. At the end, no matter what race, what color you are, we’ll come together and worship and say, ‘How worthy is the lamb.’”