3-year-old wandering street near campus returned to mother

A “good Samaritan” saw the toddler alone and called 911, the LASD says.

Courtesy of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department/Twitter

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies from the La Mirada substation return a 3-year-old girl to her mother on Oct. 26, 2018.

Austin Green, Managing Editor

Just after 10 a.m. Friday morning, a 3-year-old girl was found wandering alone alongside La Mirada Boulevard near the Tacuba Drive intersection one block from Biola’s campus, according to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

A woman who the LASD calls a “good Samaritan” saw the toddler and notified authorities.

A neighbor recognized the child and directed deputies to the girl’s home nearby, where the toddler’s mother took her into custody, said Sgt. Manuel Flores of the LASD.

The child’s aunt, who was babysitting, had fallen asleep and the toddler left the house through an unlocked door, Flores said. The child’s mother had returned home by the time deputies arrived with the girl.

The child and her grateful mother are now reunited after an ordeal that took less than an hour from start to finish, according to Flores.

“Special BIG thank you to the good Samaritan who was walking to work when she found her,” the LASD Norwalk station’s official Twitter account tweeted.