Women’s golf wins NCCAA team title, Sami Penor takes individual crown

Eagles win first championship of the season in Florida tournament.

Courtesy of Brandon Gilmore/NCCAA (L) and Jane Carr/Biola Athletics (R)

Left: The women’s golf team poses with their NCCAA championship banner on Oct. 24, 2018. Right: Freshman Sami Penor poses with a plaque celebrating her individual title in the 2018 NCCAA women’s golf championships.

Ashley Grams, Freelance Writer

Biola women’s golf traveled to Palm Coast, Fla. for the NCCAA National Championships Oct. 22-24. The Eagles played a fantastic three days of golf, where they won the team competition as freshman Sami Penor took first place in the individual.

The first round proved tough for the Eagles, but Biola willed its way from a low eighth spot on the fourth hole to a second place ranking at the end of the first day. Penor recorded several pars to lift the Eagles and place herself in the top 10 on the individual leaderboard.

As the assembled teams battled the challenging weather conditions on the second day, Biola remained neck in neck with Erskine College, separated by just four strokes. Penor again proved the bright spot for the Eagles with a 75 at the end of the day, securing a second place position. Juniors Tori Roeske and Jules Loibl also improved and gained seven spots each on the individual leaderboard.

Round three saw yet another step forward for the Eagles as Penor finished first place with a 76 for the day and a 229 overall in the individual competition. Other standouts from Biola included Roeske with 235 and sophomore Sophia Karnazes with 237, taking sixth and seventh place respectively on the individual leaderboard.

Five of the Eagles finished in the top 15 of the individual competition as junior Alexis Gopfert with a 238 overall and Loibl in 13th place with 240 rounded out the Eagles stellar play. All of Biola’s individual standouts finished with a score of 80 or under on the third day.  

Biola’s overall score of 932 gave the Eagles first place in a nine-team tournament, extending  women’s golf’s win streak to three.

The Eagles will be back out on the green at the PLNU Reach Tournament in San Diego, Calif. on Nov. 4-5.