Women’s golf wins NCCAA West Regional

Eagles post a great score to claim victory in Indio.

Women’s golf wins NCCAA West Regional

Sophomore golfer Sophia Karnazes celebrates with coach Jane Carr after shooting her first even round of her collegiate career during the NCCAA West Regional on Oct. 1.

Courtesy of Jane Carr/Biola Athletics

Courtesy of Jane Carr/Biola Athletics

Courtesy of Jane Carr/Biola Athletics

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Women’s golf traveled to the desert on Monday, taking on Ottawa University Arizona in a National Christian College Athletics Association regional in Indio, Calif. Biola defeated the Spirit to book their trip to Florida for the NCCAA championships Oct. 22-24.

Freshman Sami Penor led the Eagles in the first round with a fantastic score of 71, followed by sophomore Sophia Karnazes who posted a score of 74. Junior Alexis Gopfert shot a 75, while juniors Tori Roeske and Jules Loibl shot a 78 and 80 respectively.

In the second round, Karnazes and Loibl both posted a 72 to lead the Eagles in that round. Penor put up a 74, while Roeske and Gopfert shot a 75 and 78.

Penor finished first for Biola with an overall score of 145, closely followed by Karnazes with a 146. Loibl finished third for the Eagles with a score of 152, and Roeske and Gopfert tied for fourth on the team with a total score of 153.

Biola took the team competition by a whopping 44 shots, outshooting the Spirit 591 to 635.

The Eagles hit the links next Monday and Tuesday at the Embry-Riddle Co-Ed Invitational in Prescott, Ariz.