Caf banquet hall renamed to honor Korean evangelist

Chapel celebrated Billy Kim and included a performance by Korean Children’s Choir.

Photo by Thecla Li / THE CHIMES

Macie Cummings, News Editor

Biola Hour celebrated Korean culture with a performance from the Korean Children’s Choir from the Far East Broadcasting Company as well as hearing from Christian evangelist Billy Kim on Sept. 28.

Kim is renowned around Korea for his ministry, and is currently president of the FEBC-Korea. To honor Kim and his wife Trudy, the Caf Banquet hall is being renamed the Billy and Trudy Kim Banquet Hall as voted on by the Board of Trustees.

Korean Children’s Choir Kicks Off Chapel

The Korea Children’s Choir performed during the first half of the chapel. They opened by singing “Amazing Grace” followed by “When the Saints Go Marching In” and “Let it Shine.” However, their performance was not like that of a traditional choral ensemble. The singing was accompanied with elaborate dance routines, ribbons, flags and more.

During a rendition of the song “It’s A Small World” the choir danced across the stage with flags that represented various countries. They included five American flags in the front. Following this, the choir performed a medley of American patriotic songs while holding both an American and a South Korean flag in the front.

The choir closed the first half of chapel by singing “Jesus Loves Me,” during which the children went out into the seats, giving hugs to audience members.

Dr. Billy Kim Inspires Students

During the second half of the chapel, students and faculty had the privilege of hearing from Kim, a prominent Christian evangelist from Korea. Kim served at Suwon Central Baptist church from 1959 to 2004. At the beginning, the church only had a dozen members. It now extends to over 15,000. Not only has Billy served in the church for over 45 years, but he also translated for the 1973 Billy Graham crusade and served as the first Asian president of the Baptist World Alliance. He is currently the president of the FEBC-Korea where he has been for over 40 years.

Kim’s message was a personal testimony to students to not be discouraged by the fact that they are only one person. Kim served as a houseboy for an American G.I. during the Korean War. He escaped from the conflict in Korea and came to America at the age of 17. He pushed his listeners to believe in themselves, and never to underestimate their capabilities.

Sophomore biblical and theological studies major Sarah Lee was inspired by the bravery that Kim showed at such a young age.

“I think I was just honored to see him up there actually, that was the most important thing,” Lee said. “Just to see that this is a real person who has done all these great things… and he was just a kid at one point and I am too. It’s inspiring.”

Sophomore elementary education major Andrew Choi enjoyed getting to see both the choir and Kim represent Korean culture onstage.

“Being Korean-American, it was really great to see our culture being in a place where it’s not really shown,” Choi said. “It really makes you want to get off your seat [because] you know that there’s a greater calling and that’s to fulfill Jesus being lifted higher and being glorified.”