Crime Log—April 10 – Sept. 4

Vandalism, trespassing, petty theft, possession of marijuana and property damage are up this week’s Crime Log.

Isabelle Thompson and Christian Leonard

MAY

Possession of Marijuana/Trespassing — Off-Campus

Reported May 1, 7:07 p.m.

A Campus Safety officer observed smoke coming from outside the Hart Hall gates. The officer made contact with a non-student who was smoking, and a student who was not, and asked them to leave. They left without further incident.

Vandalism — Horton Hall

Reported May 3, 10:52 a.m., occurred prior to April 27, 8:29 a.m.

Facilities management reported a name had been written on a ceiling tile in the Horton Hall kitchen.

Trespassing — La Mirada Apartments

Reported May 3, 10:52 a.m.

A student reported an individual digging through the dumpster near the apartment. Officers made contact with the individual and asked them to leave. They left without further incident.

Trespassing — La Mirada Apartments

Reported May 6, 10:59 p.m.

Officers observed an individual digging through the dumpster near the apartment. Officers made contact with the individual and asked them to leave. The individual left without further incident.

Petty Theft — Stewart Hall

Reported May 7, 8:22 a.m., occurred May 5 between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.

A student reported their wallet stolen after last seeing it in Stewart Hall. Facilities found the wallet and returned it to the student, who reported that the cash inside was missing. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is continuing the investigation.

Vandalism — Library

Reported May 12, 5:08 p.m., occurred prior to 5:14 p.m.

Facilities reported a lamp pole knocked over in front of the library. It remains unclear whether the damage was intentional or accidental, according to Campus Safety. A report was not filed with the LASD.

Trespassing — Blackstone Hall

Reported May 15, 7:53 a.m.

Facilities reported that an individual previously banned from campus had returned to the outside of Blackstone Hall. Officers made contact with the individual and removed them from campus without further incident.

Petty Theft — Bookstore

Reported May 15, 11:41 a.m., occurred 11:05 a.m.

A staff member reported books stolen from the store. Initially, the reporting party planned to file a report with the LASD, but later declined to make the report.

Vandalism — Rose Hall

Reported May 17, 9:50 a.m., occurred prior to April 2, 8 a.m.

A staff member reported a window broken inside Rose Hall. It remains unclear whether the damage was intentional or accidental, according to Campus Safety. A report was not filed with the LASD.

Petty Theft — Art Gallery

Reported May 17, 2:42 p.m., occurred between May 14, 10 a.m. and May 17, 2 p.m.

Art department staff reported that pieces of the art exhibit had been removed. A follow-up investigation did not produce any further information, and a report was not filed with the LASD.

Possession of Marijuana — Lot S

Reported May 17, 4:38 p.m.

Campus Safety personnel reported three non-students smoking marijuana in the parking structure. Officers made contact with the individuals and asked them to leave. They left without further incident.

Disturbing the Peace — Inner Campus

Reported May 17, 6:24 p.m.

A member of the La Mirada community reported noise coming from the conference occurring on campus. Since the conference was scheduled to end shortly, and quiet hours had not yet begun, officers did not request the noise to be turned down, instead monitoring the conference until it ended.

Trespassing — Inner Campus

Reported May 17, 9:56 p.m.

A conference guest reported an individual smoking while biking through campus. Officers made contact with the individual and asked him to leave. The individual left without further incident.

Trespassing — Rosecrans Apartments

Reported May 20, 12:07 a.m.

An individual reported another person who jumped over the apartment gate into the parking area. Officers made contact with the person and contacted the LASD to give them an official trespassing warning.

Trespassing — Rosecrans Apartments

Reported May 25, 8:32 a.m., occurred May 19, 8:32 a.m.

A student worker reported that a group of individuals had attempted to get into the garage through the gate. Campus Safety determined that no follow up was necessary for the case.

Petty Theft — Horton Hall

Reported May 29, 2:57 p.m., occurred prior to 2:50 p.m.

Facilities reported that the glass case in an elevator containing its permit had been taken. Campus Safety is continuing the investigation.

JUNE

Disturbing the Peace ― Hope Hall

Reported June 12, 3:01 p.m.

A conference guest reported a group of fellow conference guests for making noise when they ran down the hallway. Campus Safety made contact with the individuals and asked them to stop.

Petty Theft ― Chase Gym

Reported June 20, 12:54 p.m., occurred between June 14, 8 p.m. and June 15, 4 p.m.

A staff member reported that supplements were stolen from an open gym locker. A report was not filed with the LASD.

Vandalism ― Lot S

Reported June 25, 2:22 p.m.

A car owner reported that eggs had been thrown at multiple vehicles in the parking lot. The incident was not filed with the LASD.

Trespassing ― Facilities Management

Reported June 27, 6:30 a.m.

A Campus Safety officer observed and made contact with a woman running through campus. She seemed to show signs of mental instability.

Hit and Run: Property Damage ― Lot R

Reported June 27, 12:42 p.m., occurred between 7:30 a.m. and 12:40 p.m.

A staff member reported that a dent had been left on their car. A report of the incident was not filed with the LASD.  

Petty Theft ― Inner Campus

Reported June 29, 9:13 a.m.

A staff member reported that a mailbox had been stolen. It was later resolved without the help of Campus Safety.

JULY

Vandalism ― Lot S

Reported July 3, 9:34 p.m., occurred prior to 9:35 p.m.

A Campus Safety officer reported the use of spray paint on the parking structure. The paint has since been removed by facilities.

Trespassing ― Blackstone Hall

Reported July 3, 10:28 p.m., occurred 10:03 p.m.

A fire alarm went off in Blackstone Hall where Campus Safety identified two suspects. The individuals were cited with trespassing and asked to leave. They left without further incident.

Hit and Run: Property Damage ― Lot E

Reported July 6, 6:40 p.m., occurred prior at 12 p.m.

A staff member reported a broken taillight on their vehicle. Campus Safety was able to identify the suspect vehicle. The incident has been referred to the LASD and the case remains active.

Petty Theft ― Cafe

Reported July 9, 2:22, occurred July 6 between 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.

A student reported a stolen scooter that was taken outside the Cafe. The incident was not filed with the LASD, yet remains active.

Possession of Marijuana ― Lot S

Drug Paraphernalia ― Lot S

Minor in Possession of Tobacco/Paraphernalia ― Lot S

Trespassing ― Lot J

Reported July 7, 7:21 p.m.

Officers made contact with an individual walking through campus and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Trespassing ― Stewart Hall

Reported July 14, 5:21 p.m.

A Stewart resident reported a possibly transient individual by the premises. Officers made contact with the individual and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Trespassing ― Lot R

Reported July 14, 8:55 p.m.

An individual drove to the gatehouse and requested the gate be opened so they could turn around and exit. However, once the gate was opened they drove deeper into campus. Officers made contact with the individual and asked them to leave.

Disturbing of the Peace ― Hope Hall

Reported July 17, 10:39 p.m.

A conference guest reported a group playing basketball on the nearby courts. Officers met with the players and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Petty Theft ― Alton and Lydia Lim Center for Science, Technology and Health

Reported July 24, 12:16 p.m., occurred between 10 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.

A student reported their locked bike stolen, with the lock cut. Campus Safety is continuing the investigation with the LASD.

Vandalism ― Talbot House

Campus Safety received a report that a house across from the Hart gate had spray paint on its wall. Facilities was contacted to clean up the vandalism, but a report was not made to the LASD.

Trespassing ― Lot R

Reported July 31, 5:41 p.m.

A student worker reported two individuals walking on the pipe crossing the creek. Officers made contact with them and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Tampering with Fire Alarm ― Thompson Hall

Reported July 31, 7:41 p.m.

A conference guest triggered the smoke detector in their room when smoking, then attempted to shut it off by removing the device. Campus Safety made contact with the individual and notified facilities about the incident.

AUGUST

Trespassing ― Lot S

Reported Aug. 8, 9:05 p.m.

Campus Safety personnel observed two women smoking in a vehicle and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Vandalism ― Rancho Campus

Reported Aug. 10, 12:05 a.m., occurred prior to 12:05 a.m.

Officers observed writing on the outside of the building and contacted facilities to clean the surface.

Hit and Run: Property Damage ― Lot C

Reported Aug. 13, 9:25 a.m., occurred between Aug. 1, 8 a.m. and Aug. 2, 12 p.m.

A student returned to their vehicle and discovered scratches on its bumper. Campus Safety is continuing the investigation, but the student did not wish to file a report with the LASD.

Trespassing ― Lot K

Reported Aug. 18, 5:20 p.m.

A staff member observed a possible transient in the parking area. Officers made contact with the individual and asked them to leave, which they did without further incident.

Vandalism ― Thompson Hall

Reported Aug. 22, 11:29 a.m.

Facilities observed pen marks on the whiteboard, cleaning the board after reporting the sight to Campus Safety.

Petty Theft ― Rosecrans Apartment 2

Reported Aug. 22, 6:12 p.m., occurred between Aug. 21, 10 p.m. and Aug. 22, 6:12 p.m.

A resident reported their unlocked bike stolen from the premises. Campus Safety is continuing the investigation, but the case was not referred to the LASD.

Trespassing ― Blackstone Hall

Reported Aug. 23, 12:45 p.m.

Facilities reported a possible transient walking into the facilities yard. Officers made contact with the individual at Blackstone and asked them to leave. The individual complied without further incident.

Trespassing ― Olive Grove

Reported Aug. 26, 3:02 a.m.

Campus Safety personnel observed an individual drinking beer in the area and asked them to leave. The individual complied without further incident.

Disturbing the Peace ― Sigma Hall

Reported Aug. 26, 10:04 p.m.

A conference guest reported another guest in a separate room who was playing loud music. Officers responded, but the music had stopped prior to their arrival.

Petty Theft ― Alpha Hall

Reported Aug. 28, 2:11 p.m., occurred Aug. 27, between 7:45 a.m. and 4:40 p.m.

A student reported their unlocked bike stolen from the premises. Campus Safety is continuing the investigation with the LASD.

Trespassing ― La Mirada Apartments

Reported Aug. 29, 6:31 a.m.

Campus Safety observed and reported an individual loitering outside the apartments. Campus Safety made contact and asked the individual to leave.  

Trespassing ― La Mirada Apartments

Reported Aug. 29, 10:47 a.m.

A transient individual was reported outside the apartments. Campus Safety asked her to leave, which she did without further incident.

Hit and Run: Property Damage ― Lot C

Reported Aug. 29, 6:13 p.m., occurred between 1:30 p.m. and 6:10 p.m.

A staff member found scrapes on the door of their vehicle upon returning to it. A report was not made to the LASD, but Campus Safety is continuing the investigation.

Trespassing ― La Mirada Apartments

Reported Aug. 30, 3:02 a.m.

Campus Safety received a report of two individuals riding skateboards around the building. Officers made contact with them and asked them to leave. They departed without further incident.

SEPTEMBER

Trespassing ― Horton Way

Reported Sept. 2, 12:42 a.m.

Campus Safety personnel engaged in a conversation with an individual and determined they had no business on campus. Officers asked the individual to leave, and they departed without further incident.