Grace EV Free Church releases Christmas album

“So Much Joy: A Grace Christmas,” has several Biola contributors. Read the sidebar on the story to find out how you can win a free copy.

So Much Joy was produced by members of Grace Evangelical Free Church in La Mirada, including many Biolans.

“So Much Joy” was produced by members of Grace Evangelical Free Church in La Mirada, including many Biolans.

Marlin Gramenz, Writer

“How early is too early to listen to Christmas music?” is a question commonly asked as the Christmas season draws near. With the Thanksgiving holiday come and gone, regardless of the answer to that question you can feel free to listen to the sounds of the season to your hearts content. And with so much Christmas music available these days, it can be difficult to find something new and different amongst all the traditional material out there. If you’re looking for something familiar, but with fresh and creative sounds, look no further.

Following their engaging worship album, “Praise The Living God: Songs of Grace, Volume One,” released last year, the good people at Grace EV Free of La Mirada have done it again with their first Christmas album titled, “So Much Joy: A Grace Christmas,” released Nov. 22.

Numerous contributors to the CD have ties to Biola, including current students Drew Brokke and Marla Bustad, grad students Brian Petersen and Nate Warne, alumni Corrie Pelser and Kelly Wright, current staff member Andrew Braine and many, many more. Walt Harrah, who serves as Worship Minister at Grace, produced the album and the mixing and mastering engineers of the album have won Grammys with artists including Ray Charles, Diana Krall, Alanis Morissette, and Quincy Jones.

The album offers some traditional tracks such as “What Child Is This” and an instrumental “Silent Night” (arranged by Biola alum Will Gearhart), but by and large what you’ll find here is a somewhat fresher and more unique sound for the holidays, with different genres present that make for a diverse yet enjoyable and appealing addition to your seasonal song selection.

“So Much Joy” starts out with the familiar and classic holiday tune, “Joy To The World.” With its edgy pop flavor, you’ll be happily drawn into the Christmas spirit as it pulls you into the CD. The song, arranged by Harrah, has a catchy chorus added to it, as well as a solid and encouraging refrain. This has become one of my favorites on the CD.

Another favorite of mine is “Children, Go.” The track is over 8 minutes long, which may initially be a turn off to some listeners. But don’t skip to track three too soon. “Children, Go” employs the same lyrical concept as “Twelve Days Of Christmas,” which makes the track as long as it is. Be sure to give the track a closer listen, though, as part of its beauty is found in the creative variations of the vocal and instrumental parts during each countdown, including a fun exchange between harmonica and violin. Also, after subsequent listens to it, you may find yourself learning the lyrics and happily singing along with each countdown.

“God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen” features a solo vocal performance by Biola student Marla Bustad. With confidence and authority, Bustad delivers a magnificent performance that really adds to the success of the album.

Next up is the title track, “So Much Joy.” The song, written by Harrah himself, is a catchy part of the roster and focuses on the joy over the birth of Christ and what that means for mankind. Unique from the rest of the album, the song features a tasty slide guitar performance and solo, performed by Harrah’s brother, James. Musically, it’s performed more as a Bluegrass/Folk tune, which, although different, makes for a really fun and enjoyable experience.

Also included on the CD are such songs as “Of The Father’s Love Begotten,” “Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring,” “Gloria” (which features traditional lyrics with new music) and “Go, Tell It On The Mountain.”

Overall, “So Much Joy” is a Christmas album with edifying lyrics and solid musicianship that should not be missed out on, with both fun and beautiful performances. Be sure to visit their website at www.songsofgrace.org for additional information. You can find the album at Grace EV Free of La Mirada, or you can download it from iTunes. Go and get your copy today!