Cook school plans for upgrades

The Cook School of Intercultural Studies received a $100,000 gift from the Far East Broadcasting company, allowing for various upgrades to the school’s building.

Amber Baker, Writer

After 43 years of being scattered around campus, the Cook School of Intercultural Studies will be under one roof, thanks mostly to a $100,000 gift from the Far East Broadcasting Company.

CSICS accepted a $100,000 check last month for its Marshburn Portico Project, expected to begin in summer 2010. Another $100,000 check, along with a $25,000 check for electronics and new media, is expected in mid-February when construction begins. Douglas Pennoyer, dean of CSICS as well as chairman of the FEBC, was excited about the gift.

“It is rather unusual for such a large sum to be donated like this,” he said.

There is a rich history between FEBC and Biola’s CSICS. Many FEBC personnel have master’s degrees from the university. Pennoyer, along with emeritus professor Judy Lingenfelter, has served on the company’s board.

Pennoyer made a proposal for the funds at an FEBC meeting and received approval for the entire amount.

The construction will take place in two phases. The first phase will include upgrades to outdated bathrooms, which will be enlarged to help accommodate persons with disabilities. Phase two will include major remodeling, with new offices as well as a lobby transfer. The plan includes a more spacious lobby and an improved reception and resource space. Practical improvements such as carpet and lighting need to be upgraded, and hidden asbestos will be safely removed.

Pennoyer and Doug Hayward, associate dean at CSICS, developed a plan to renovate the building after realizing they were running out of space. An overhanging in the front of Marshburn will be enclosed.

FEBC USA has decided to honor its founders, Bob and Eleanor Bowman, by creating the Bowman Missions Media Center in the Portico enclosure. This is one of the highlights of the project and will enclose the 1,200 square feet outside the front of Marshburn Hall. The room in their honor will contain live and digital feeds of FEBC programs and historical videos, as well as mission databases and other information that students, faculty, alumni and parents can use.

Pennoyer first set his eyes on FEBC as a small boy in the Philippines. Pennoyer’s parents, missionaries to the country in the ’50s, frequently took him to visit FEBC’s Philippine station. There, he was able to see first-hand how FEBC reached into the lives of native Filipinos with the love of God through the airwaves. FEBC was the only Christian radio broadcast throughout the islands and into the rest of Southeast Asia, during that time. This set the stage for Pennoyer’s life-long partnership with FEBC. Pennoyer was invited to attend the 60th anniversary of FEBC Philippines last year.