Summer camp, anyone?

Working at a summer camp is one of the greatest experiences a person can have. People who have worked at summer camps come back with changed lives and unforgettable memories. There are so many summer camps out there that it is nearly impossible not to find a likeable position at one of them.

For college students, summer camps offer great jobs and wide varieties of opportunities for a fun and life changing summer job.

So, how does one find a good summer camp job? Most people just choose the camp they grew up attending. So, what about the rest of us?

I researched four different camps to see what each had to offer. Ponderosa Pines Christian Camp, Yosemite Sierra Summer Camp, Hume Lake Christian Camp, and Forest Home are all Christian camps – each one offering something a little different than the others.

Ponderosa Pines Christian Camp, or “Pondo,” is located in the Big Bear area and is a good choice if a person likes small and intimate. With only 25 to 30 hired staff, and 250 junior high and high school campers per week, Pondo offers an intimate atmosphere allowing time to get to know not only the campers, but other counselors. According to head counselor Kayla Skipper, “Pondo’s goal is to provide an environment where kids can experience God.”

Beginning June 1 and ending Aug. 10, campers come up for a week of activities, team competition and digging into the Word of God. She also noted that if students are looking for a job this summer at Pondo, it’s still not too late to apply. They have positions for counselors, program staff, audio/video techs, and auxiliary staff. Because there are only about 30 staff members, it is best to apply as soon as possible. Salary for the summer staff is $1,500 for the whole summer and includes room and board. While the income may not be much, the work allows a person to make an impact in young people’s lives.

Yosemite Sierra Summer Camp, or YSSC, is located on Bass Lake near Yosemite National Park. It, too, is a small and intimate camp. There are approximately 150 campers every two weeks for four sessions. YSSC hires about 70 staff from counselors and program staff to boat drivers and backpack guides.

Getting a job at YSSC is fairly competitive because they hire a lot of returning staff and want workers to have one to two years of experience working with kids. Staff at YSSC make about $175 a week, which includes room and board for 10 or more weeks depending on the job.

YSSC is a unique camp in that it is very community oriented. According to assistant director, Ron Eckert, “We work with the whole child to build character, relationships, skills, and faith.” He said there are no downsides to working at YSSC over the summer. YSSC prefers that students apply for a job by the end of February, but they will continue to take applications until all available positions are filled.

If small camps are not really your thing, then the next two camps may be a better fit. Hume Lake Christian Camp is located between Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Each week, for 11 weeks, the camp hosts over 1,500 campers ranging in age from 8 to 18. This year Hume will be hiring about 350 staff members for the summer. The last day to apply for a job is May 15. Job opportunities include program staff, operations staff and food service staff. The staff at Hume Lake make about $1,170 a month, minus $450 for room and board. Work begins June 3 and ends Aug. 22. There are so many positions available at Hume that the only things needed to work up there are a servant’s heart and a willingness to do anything.

Even though Hume is a big summer camp, human resources assistant Annette Allen says, “There is so much enthusiasm and energy at Hume, it’s amazing how God works in that big of a setting.” The only downside to the camp is its location. It is an hour and a half from the nearest city, but if a person doesn’t need city life nearby, it is a great place to spend the summer.

Finally, Forest Home is located up Mill Creek Canyon, a few miles from Redlands and just 90 minutes from Biola University. Forest Home sits on 500 acres and features five different camp centers, catering to everyone from third graders to high schoolers. Forest Home even has family programs. There are countless job opportunities, ranging from program and administration staff to lifeguards and food service. This year they will be hiring 60 summer staff. The camp runs from June 4 to Aug. 15. Applications are being accepted up until the day before camp begins. Staff at Forest Home can make $156 or more per week, depending on the position. This includes room and board.

Forest Home’s President Stan White highly encourages working at the camp.

“You won’t make a ton of money, but you will get incredible life-skill training and see God work in amazing ways,” he said. “There is no environment like it.”

Whether you’re looking to work for a large camp or a smaller one, one thing is certain: God will be working in your life while you work in the lives of others.

For more information on any of these camps, or employment opportunities, please visit their Web sites listed below.

Ponderosa Pines Christian Camp

Yosemite Sierra Summer Camp

Hume Lake Christian Camp

Forest Home