Biola’s own comedy “Show”

Warren studio one in the brand new production center was filled to capacity (and then some) on Tuesday night for the premiere of Biola’s new comedy experience, “The Show.” Tons of excited fans filed in at nine o’clock, and quickly filled all the seats in the studio, so they started sitting in the aisles and leaning on the walls.

“The Show,” Biola’s newest student-run comedy show, premiered its first showing in Warren Studio last week. Photo by Courtesy: The Show

“We were expecting 60 or so, maybe 70 … this is unbelievable,” said junior Ellie Pappuleas, audience relations manager for “The Show.” The actual number of audience members was not to be released, but it’s safe to say they exceeded expectations (and fire code).

“We had to turn people away,” said producer junior Mandy Sauerlender, “They were pounding on the door during the show.”

“The Show” itself filmed for about 40 minutes and was filled with live sketches, a host monologue, digital shorts, and a house band. Bizarre, edgy humor kept the audience laughing – sometimes reservedly, most of the time hysterically – the entire time.

It began with lights fading up on a set made to look like a typical living room, with sophomore Phillip Domfeh acting as a troubled, fat, middle-aged man, sitting on his couch. A hilarious marital spat between him and his wife ensued for a good five minutes before “The Show” host junior Charles Atkinson busted through the wall of the set with his cronies, kicking the family out of their living room and making it into the stage for his “Show.”

With such an off-the-wall opening, there was no telling what to expect from the rest of “The Show.” But no matter what it would be, the live audience was sure to be entertained.

“A big thing for us in pre-production was pace,” said host Atkinson. “There is no room for stopping, for retakes, it’s a live show, catered to the live audience.”

Reid Bode, a sophomore film major who acted in a digital short and is a part of “The Show” crew, reflected the sentiment of the group as a whole.

“This feels really good, especially after all the hard work we poured into it,” he said. “I was a little nervous people wouldn’t come, and that if they did, they wouldn’t laugh. But they came, and they laughed, and it was very rewarding.”

This is not the first time Biola has had a late night comedy show. For the past three years, “Late” filmed in Warren studio on Thursday nights. 2008 Biola grad Bradley Clarke, “Late’s” creator and executive producer, was in attendance for “The Show’s” premiere on Tuesday.

“Quite a thrill to see a tradition continued,” he said. “It is really great to come back and see how students who started as grips have matured in their trade.”

Sauerlender, who was a part of “Late,” like others on “The Show” crew, is thrilled with the direction the new comedy show is taking.

“The whole event was very encouraging,” she said. “In the past with these types of things, it was usually just film majors that would show up. But seeing all different majors represented in the crowd, and even in our crew, was really special.”

She is not the only one to aptly recognize the scope of “The Show.” Said showrunner junior Allen Bagge, “This has become a campus-wide event.”

“The Show” will have its second show on Nov. 11. The crew is considering moving to a new location, and with the ad campaign “The Show” has presented thus far and anxious attendees of the premiere longing for the next performance, it’s sure to be a huge turnout once more, wherever it goes down.

The first episode of the season will be posted on Facebook in the next few days.