Tennis faces triumph and trials

Biola’s men’s tennis team wins over College of Wooster before joining the women’s team in defeat against San Diego Christian.

Amelia Mowry/THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

A long two days of tennis awaited Biola’s men’s and women’s tennis teams, as the men played back-to-back matches on March 17 and March 18, with the women also competing on March 18. The men faced The College of Wooster on Friday, sweeping the Fighting Scots 9-0 before both teams took to the courts on Saturday against the San Diego Christian College Hawks, with the women losing 8-1 and the men dropping their match 6-3.

The Eagles had smooth sailing against Wooster in all but one of their matches. On the No. 3 doubles court, the junior duo of David Garcia and Michael Vartuli barely pulled out a 9-8 tiebreaker victory.

Head coach David Goodman gave one of his freshman players a chance on the court, as Jacob Vanderbeek played on the No. 6 singles court for the first time this season. He dispatched his opponent smoothly by a score of 6-1, 6-0.

The next day, the women started out play against No. 8 ranked San Diego Christian with their six singles matches, which they all lost in short order. The women’s only win of the day came on the No. 2 doubles court, where freshman Lauren Lee and senior Brooke Sanford fought bitterly to get the 9-8 tiebreaker win. The pairing of Lee and Sanford is Biola’s best team by record this season, as they have won six of their 13 matches together.

The men came into the match with a chip on their shoulder, as they lost 5-4 in heartbreaking fashion on the road against the No. 13 ranked Hawks earlier in the season. Unfortunately, Biola fell just short, again in heartbreaking fashion.

Biola won the No. 2 court while the Hawks took the No. 1 and 3 courts, with Garcia and junior Milos Zoric dropping their third court match 9-8 after a 7-4 tiebreaker. The other close match came on the No. 3 court, where freshman Derek James lost his first set 7-6 on a tiebreaker before dropping the second 6-0.

Garcia had a successful singles outing to rebound from his doubles loss, as he won the No. 6 match 6-2, 6-1. The other Eagle victory in singles play came on the No. 5 court, with junior Joe Turnquist defeating his opponent 6-3, 6-4.

The women move to 3-10 overall and 2-4 in Golden State Athletic Conference play, while the men drop to 5-8 overall and also 2-4 in conference. The women play on March 22 against Sewanee: The University of the South at 3 p.m., while the men have an extra day before their match against University of the Southwest on March 23 at 3:30 p.m.