Sexual promiscuity complicates election

Students speak on sexual assault and the presidential election.

Infographic by Cassidy Eldridge/ THE CHIMES

Jessica Goddard, Writer

The current election has proven difficult for many people, especially after the Washington Post released tapes of Donald Trump talking about women sexually and abusively. These tapes then triggered the resurfacing of articles on Bill Clinton’s affairs and Hillary Clinton’s dealings with the women accusing her husband of sexual assault. Many people now find themselves at an even more difficult crossroad in choosing a candidate.

Rachel Smith, senior elementary education major and president of Brave Voices, the sexual assault group on campus, shares her opinion on the candidates and how sexual offenses will affect the election and the American people.

Who are you voting for?

“Well, I haven’t decided yet. But I’ll be honest, it’s really difficult. I am probably going to be looking more at issues and voting history of the candidates. And the things I feel about them, personally, I would be tempted not to vote at all, and I don’t want to do that. So I don’t quite know yet, but I will be voting.”

New articles tapes, and sexual promiscuity regarding the presidential candidates have resurfaced. Have these things affected your voting decisions, if at all?

“Yeah, like I said, I don’t always like to vote for how I feel personally about candidates, but both of them and both of the things that have come up really make me examine twice how I vote. It honestly did make me think twice about voting, period, but I have decided that I will vote still, regardless of some of these issues that have come up.”

Do you think this election is bringing up hurt from the past of sexually assaulted women or men?

“I think so. Just from reading all of the responses and through talking with friends, through social media… and news articles. I think it’s bringing up a lot of past hurt. In some respects, I see some of it as good because a lot of people are speaking out when [they] haven’t spoken out before about what had happened to them, and speaking out is a really healing step. But the sheer fact that they spoke out in response to a negative comment about sexual assault, that’s hurtful and that’s harmful. So I think that in some respects it is good in giving people a platform and an opportunity to speak out where maybe our country or our media was less perceptive to it. But I do think that the cause of speaking out is a harmful and hurtful thing.”

___________________________________________________________________

Amber Blevins, senior anthropology major, explains her perspective on the election and the implications of Donald Trump’s tapes. Though she had no participation in sexual assault awareness on campus last year, her judgment of the situation is similar to those who did.

Who are you voting for?

“Donald Trump. Mostly because I don’t want Hillary Clinton in office.”

New articles and tapes regarding sexual promiscuity of the presidential candidates have resurfaced. How have these things affected your voting decisions, if at all?

“Trump is more being accused of saying ‘mean things’ while Bill and Hillary Clinton’s issues affect a lot of stuff that’s deeper than just saying mean things about people. I’d rather have someone who’s kind of not political be in office than a liar.”

“Yeah, usually when stuff like this comes out anyway, all of a sudden you get a slew of people who said, ‘Oh it’s me!’ So I think that’s usually how it is, anyway.”