SGA offers new Go Cards

Cards intend to help both students and local businesses.

Eliana Park/ THE CHIMES

Eliana Park/ THE CHIMES

Eliana Park/ THE CHIMES

Peter Bradley, Writer

The Student Government Association has released a new card for undergraduate students offering discounts at local eateries such as Tom’s Tailgate, Pieology and Yogurtland.

The Go Card service was announced at the SGA chapel on Wednesday, Sept. 21 after they finalized plans last spring to establish the card. The roster of Go Card vendors currently includes seven businesses, all food and drink shops in the La Mirada area. SGA hopes to add vendors like hair salons, barber shops and auto mechanics in the following weeks, senior marketing major Gisselle Trochez said.

The Go Card is completely free with no signup required. To get a free Go Card, students can go to the SGA office in the Student Union Building and request one.

“The point of the card is so that students know it is a service from SGA and to put our name out there in order for students to know that we have these services to provide for them,” Trochez said.

The Go Card service also helps the businesses offering discounts, especially those off the beaten path. Philly Fusion, a restaurant specializing in making Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, was excited to be a part of the service. The restaurant already offered a discount to Biola students, but had trouble attracting them because students did not know it was there, Trochez said.

Philly Fusion’s manager Jake Lindsay said that the restaurant provides a 10 percent discount to students who have a Go Card and in return they receive the satisfaction of helping a local school.

Another Go Card vendor, Sugar & Spice Bakery & Deli, is tucked away by the Home Depot on the northeast corner of Imperial Highway and La Mirada Boulevard and also struggles attracting students.

“The owner was so excited [to offer a discount]. It’s just cool to help them and for the students to get something out of it too,” Trochez said.     

Students can suggest new vendors for the Go Card service by going to the Biola SGA services page.