SGA proposes to renew student scholarships

Senate hears two internal proposals and learns about disability awareness month.

SGA+Logo

Rebecca Mitchell, Writer

The Student Government Association heard from Joel Smith, senior psychology major and a part of the multi-cultural events team with Student Programming and Activities, about disability awareness month. In order to bring awareness to Biola’s campus, Smith’s team prepared a video of students with disabilities sharing a bit of their story, which will air on Monday, Oct. 10 on social media as well as at a showing on Wednesday during AfterDark. Also, throughout the week of Oct. 10-14, the team will have a display by the bell tower showing photos of students with disabilities and quotes from them.

Senators shared how Carrie Stockton, dean of student success, hopes to start an adulting series about what students need to know for life after college. The series would most likely include topics such as taxes, car care and how to parent. Senators will ask constituents what topics to add as well as the presentation of the topics, such as one main event with all of the topics presented or a more drawn-out process.

Proposals

Gisselle Trochez, vice president of marketing and communications, proposed for $10,000 for the second year of SGA student scholarships. Each scholarship of $1,000 would be given to 10 students based off a submitted essay, financial need and a submitted reference.

President Jessica Snow proposed for $300 for a booth to encourage students to register to vote, which would occur Monday, Oct. 10 through Friday, Oct. 14 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. by Fluor Fountain. At the booth, students can use SGA iPads to register to vote through TurboVote, and then receive donuts, cookies and candy. Snow also plans for a portion of the proposed money to pay for absentee ballots to be sent to students who can not afford to pay for them.

Voting

In a same-day vote, the senate passed Snow’s proposal in an increased amount of $400 to provide for posters with a vote of 13-0-2.

Though they did not conduct vote to approve the same-day vote, despite the statement regarding immediate legislation in their constitution, the senate passed Snow’s proposal in an increased amount of $400 to provide for posters with a vote of 13-0-2.