Eagles grounded in upset by Evangels

Eagles men’s basketball conclude a phenomenal season with an unfortunate second round elimination.

Biola students respond to recent research from the Barna Group that shows people’s changing priorities in a time of economic upheaval.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

Biola men’s basketball uncharacteristically slow start was too large to overcome despite four Eagles in double digit scoring.

The usually quick scoring Eagles got off to a slow 4-16 start. The rapid three-point game of the Mid-American Evangels caused the sluggish beginning, who were 8-16 from beyond the arc.

Biola could not keep pace with the Evangels throughout the first half. In fact the deficit was its largest at 19 points by the end of the half.

The second half was more competitive for the Eagles. Biola, slowly but surely ate at the Evangels’ lead and made it only a two point game with six minutes to go. Unfortunately three straight Eagle turnovers put the game out of reach once more. The three-point, sharp-shooting Evangels continued to make life difficult for the Eagles, making three after three. The Evangels’ inability to miss forced the Eagles to play frantic catch up, shooting missed three after missed three. Eventually, the Eagles’ tough day of shooting was too detrimental and the Eagles lost 88-80.

Biola’s loss can be largely contributed to simple shooting. The Eagles finished the game shooting 23-66 (34.8%) and were 7-32 from the three. Not the best day at the office.

It was an uneven day for the Eagles’ defense. Despite still out-rebounding the Evangels 52-31, the Eagles could not put a damper on their opponent's hot shooting. Mid-American Christian had a whopping 43.9 field goal percentage and were even better from downtown at 47.8 percent.

Despite the loss, Biola finished with four players in double-digit scoring. Junior guard Dakari Archer finished with 22 points. In his last game as an Eagle, senior guard Terrell Funches finished with 19 points. Junior forward Jeff Gonzalez finished with a double-double, scoring 19 points like Funchess, and grabbed 11 rebounds. Finally, freshman guard Trevor Treinen finished with 12 points.

With the loss, the Eagles put a cap on a phenomenal and rememorable season. Biola finished 30-4 on the year, their best season since 1991-1992, where they finished 33-4 and lost in the third round in the NAIA National Championships.