Eagles struggle to limit runs

Biola softball’s pitchers cannot get a break from the Menlo offense.

Three Biola grads and a current student are being published in a new book about young conservatism, “Proud to Be Right.”

Kyle Kohner, Writer

Biola women’s softball had a difficult time limiting runs, allowing the Menlo Oaks to score 20 during the March 18 Golden State Athletic Conference matchup.

In game one of the doubleheader, both squads put up two quick runs each in the first inning. Sophomore pitcher Terri Van Daagens took over for freshman starting pitcher and first baseman Kaile Chavez, who was too ineffective to complete the first inning. Van Daagens could not right the ship as she ran into trouble herself in the third inning. The Menlo offense teed off five runs in the third inning. That was all she wrote for Van Daagens, who pitched 1.2 innings and allowed five runs on four hits while striking out an impressive three batters. The Eagles tried to rally back with four more runs but Menlo tallied on three more themselves. The final game score was 12-6, Menlo college.

Game two of the doubleheader was suspended in the sixth inning due to darkness. However, the Eagles did not play up to their hopes. The Oaks continued from where they left off — scoring runs. The Oaks’ offense jumped out to a 4-0 run in the first inning. Van Daagens, starting the game, was on the bad end off an errant defense. All four first inning runs from the Oaks were unearned. That ended the day for Van Daagens who pitched only one inning, allowed zero earned runs on three hits.

Biola tied it up quickly in the first and second innings. The first run was on an RBI single by senior catcher Bria Madrid that scored freshman shortstop Andi Hormel. Junior pitcher Kimmy Triolo, who struggled in relief for Van Daagens, followed Madrid with an RBI single that scored Madrid. Hormel and Madrid reached home base again in the second inning to take the5-4 lead. Unfortunately, it would not last. In the sixth inning, Menlo’s sophomore utility player Alaina Morgan was at the plate and blasted a two-run homer to center field. Menlo followed the shot with a two-run double, where the game would be suspended.

With Friday’s results, the Eagles extend their five-game losing streak and fall to 13-17-1 overall and 1-8 in GSAC play. The Eagles look to start an upswing Tuesday at home on March 22 at 2 p.m against the Vanguard Lions.