Eagles tame Panthers with a shutout

Biola ends losing streak with a huge statement win against the Principia Panthers

The men’s NCAA basketball tournament is coming. Here are some tips on how to pick a solid bracket.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

Sophomore number one singles Lucas Lee helped the Eagles secure a sweep in singles with a thrilling match. Lee lost his first set 2-6 and was down 1-3 in the second. However, Lee battled back furiously, winning his second set 6-4 and a nail-biting, 10-point tiebreaker.

The making of a shutout

The Eagles made a huge statement in singles by sweeping the Panthers on March 15. Sophomores number six singles Michael Vartuli and number four singles Joe Turnquist thoroughly defeated their opponents in two sets each. Turnquist won 6-2, 6-0 and Vartuli produced similar results 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore number five singles David Garcia was dominant in his singles win, finishing off his opponent 6-1, 6-0. Number three singles Luke Mountain pummeled his opponent, 6-1. Number two singles Phillip Westwood defeated his opponent just as impressively 6-2,6-1. Lee’s singles win moved him to an impressive 9-3 on the season in singles.

Improved doubles

Biola’s doubles teams have struggled this season. However, the Eagles put a beat down on the Panthers in this one. The number one doubles team comprised of the once-bearded duo of Lee and Mountain defeated their opponent 8-3. Number two doubles Westwood and Turnquist turned in an even more impressive match by winning 8-2. Finally, the number three doubles team of Garcia and Vartuli put up the same result as Turnquist and Westwood in a dominating result, winning 8-2

With the dominant 9-0 win, Biola looks to turn their momentum into a winning streak on March 16 against Washington College (Md.) at 2:30 p.m.