A doubleheader split with La Sierra

Biola softball’s Friday afternoon doubleheader with split results, including an offensive explosion in the first game.

Eagles baseball stays undefeated after routing Bethany University twice in a two-day series.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

After an eight-run explosion in the fourth inning in a game one win, the same offense blunders to one run in a second game loss to the La Sierra Golden Eagles.

Biola jumped to a quick start in the bottom of the first with two hits and the first run of the game as sophomore utility player Anjie Amezquita knocked in an RBI double to score freshman pitcher Kaile Chavez.

Chavez would be brought in for a run again in the third on a single by sophomore corner infielder/pitcher Selina Sherlin. However, Biola would give up their lead to La Sierra, who put up three runs on five hits. That ended up being the closest La Sierra came to defeating the Eagles in the first game.

Biola’s offense exploded in the fourth inning, beginning with a freshman shortstop Andi Hormel’s single to right field, scoring fellow freshman and utility player Hailey Boyett. Chavez continued her strong day by singling in two more runs that scored Galindo and Boyett. Amezquita got her second RBI of the day with a groundout to short, scoring Chavez. Boyett would come up to the plate one more time in the inning and answered the call with a two-run double, bringing home Sherlin and senior catcher Bria Madrid. The last run of the overpowering evening came on a triple screaming down center field by junior infielder Maranda Galindo that scored Boyett.

The eight-run shellacking proved all the Eagles needed to secure the first game of the doubleheader as they put up three more runs on a sac-fly by junior outfielder Kasey Hormel and a fielding error by La Sierra. The Eagles’ final score was 13-8

The night game of the doubleheader was a different story for the Eagles.

The La Sierra Golden Eagles sought revenge a couple hours later, proving to the Eagles they can score in bunches as well. In the first inning, senior right-handed pitcher Kendall Maddox coughed up five runs on four hits.

Biola would cut the lead down in the bottom of the first on a single by Sherlin that scored Chavez. Unfortunately, that was all the offense the Eagles could muster up in the second game as the Hawks tallied up four more runs, putting the game out of reach for the Eagles. Maddox’s rough outing lasted only two innings as she gave up seven runs, five earned on eight hits.

Despite the loss, the Eagles had positive performances from all four of their freshman, including Chavez, who finished the day with a combined four of nine, four runs scored and two RBIs.

Biola’s next doubleheader is against Hope International on Saturday, March 5.