Eagles in midst of dominant stretch

With a win against the Menlo College Oaks this week, Eagles look to grab number one spot before GSAC Tourney.

HEALTH AND FITNESS: Not everyone deals with their emotions in a healthy way. Here’s how to change that.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

Biola men’s basketball have not had trouble scoring this season, and when they score, they score fast.

This became evident in their eight points per game scored and four points per game allowed in the opening five minutes of the game. It was no different against the Menlo College Oaks as they went on a 11-2 run to start the game on Saturday.

THICK AND THROUGH

Scoring threats run thick and through the roster, especially in the backcourt. Senior guard Caelan Tiongson ran the offense against the Oaks. Tiongson picked up his first double-double of the season, scoring 21 points and grabbing 10 boards. In his senior season as an Eagle, Tiongson has proved once more that the Eagles have one of the most reliable options off the bench.

Freshman guard Trevor Treinen furthered the bench’s offensive assault, scoring 13 points. The game also featured starting guards senior Terrell Funches and junior Dakari Archer chipping in their routine double-digit scoring.

“The backcourt has lifted the Eagles to new heights this season and have been their main supply of offense.” Tiongson said. “Those three [Archer, Funchess  and Treinen] are just incredibly talented and skilled basketball players. All three have been playing their whole lives and have developed incredible dribbling and shooting skills. As for me, I'm more of a bruiser. I don't have nearly as much skill, but I have great teammates that allow me to put myself in a position to be successful.”

A HOT START

The hot start enabled the offense to play safer in the second half as the defense took over like they have throughout the season, evident through their number-one ranked scoring defense in the nation. The Eagles won with the final score of 72-62.

The Eagles will now play their last game of the season versus the Hope International University Royals. Biola looks to take revenge on their Golden State Athletic Conference foes who handed them a 12 point loss a month ago. However, the offense does not only run through Funchess and Archer as it did earlier in the season. It can now reliably be played through Tiongson and junior forward Jeff Gonzalez, who has been on a recent tear.

My first two years here we had losing records in conference,” Tiongson said. “The turn around and experience this year has been amazing and a GSAC title would be a fitting result to the regular season and the end of my career here at Biola.”

This game has a lot more on the line for the Eagles than last month.

cinderella-esque season

After defeating the Vanguard Lions early this week, the Royals pulled within half a game behind Biola. The Eagles must now continue on their cinderella-esque season where no one expected them to dominate as they have.

We were picked to be fifth in the preseason poll, barely above the sixth place team. It's been a goal of ours, and we've worked really hard to put ourselves in the position to accomplish it,” Gonzalez said.

With a win, the Eagles would win the GSAC regular season championship and hold the number one seed for the GSAC tournament.