Eagles utterly dominant over Oaks

Eagles win big with bench on special night for Holmquist.

HEALTH AND FITNESS: Have you gone to the gym and worked out for hours and hours and seen no results for your sweat and tears?

Kyle Kohner, Writer

Biola men’s basketball celebrates Holmquist’s landmark with a dominant win over the Menlo Oaks, thanks to an explosive offensive display by the bench and a great night of shooting the ball.

The Eagles initiated the game with rapid-fire offense and stifling defense to contribute to a 16-2 run with only five minutes taken off the clock. Senior guard and dynamic sixth man Caelan Tiongson got the start and played well over the first ten minutes of the game, scoring six of his 21 points in that span.

Tiongson finished the night with an impressive statline of 21 points, 10 rebounds and 9-11 shooting; his first double-double of the season.

Freshman guard Trevor Treinen provided the Eagles a spark off the bench. Treinen contributed 13 points, grabbed five boards and shot 3-5 from downtown and 4-4 from the free throw line.

The Eagles kept their lead over the Oaks by 10-15 points for the rest of the game. However, the Eagles casually survived a quiet scare as the Oaks went on a 19-9 run to close the game. Nevertheless, the strong defense headlined by junior Jeff Gonzalez held tight and helped Biola to a 10 point victory.

The Eagles’ win also featured starting guard duo, junior Dakari Archer and senior Terrell Funches in double-digit scoring.

With the win, Biola extends their winning streak to seven and their overall record to 26-3, while maintaining a game and a half lead over Hope International in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Biola’s closes out the regular season at home against the Hope International University Royals Saturday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. The game may also decide the regular season GSAC Championship.