Students kickstart nonprofit organization

Three sophomores raise over $250,000 in less than a year.

Photo courtesy of Olivia Bersin

Olivia Bersin, Writer

After creating nonprofit Hopeful Horizons Outreach their freshman year, students Courtney Price, sophomore business major, Susie Jacobson, sophomore biology major, and Nancy Jacobson, sophomore business major, have raised over $250,000 for numerous projects around the Los Angeles area.

“We are a tax deductible, nonprofit organization based in Orange County that is inspiring ordinary people, to do extraordinary things,” Price said. “Hopeful Horizons Outreach is a multi-branch non-profit organization, that is 100 percent Christian-based and established to make a difference and further God’s kingdom.”

Doing Extraordinary Things

Hopeful Horizons Outreach is a multi-branch organization whose major branches include education, fundraising and sustainable needs. The mission statement of Hopeful Horizons Outreach is “bringing together ordinary people, to do extraordinary things, to change this world and further God’s kingdom.”

As a business major, Price has always had the desire to start her own company. The idea for the organization began when Price witnessed her former high school’s financial struggle. As an Orange County resident, Price saw a need and wanted to do what she could to help.

From Vision to Reality

After deciding to start nonprofit, Price researched ways to make her vision a reality. She discovered she would need an advisory board to accomplish the plan, and she asked her two friends, Nancy and her sister Susie, if they would like to join.

“When Courtney approached me with this idea I was overtaken with excitement,” Nancy said. “I knew that she had wanted to start her own nonprofit one day in the future, but I never thought the time would be now. It was an overwhelmingly exciting point where I just knew that this was something that I wanted to be apart of.”

Dorm Work

After they agreed, Price, Nancy and Susie’s started the nonprofit from their dorm room during the second semester of their freshman year. Susie and Nancy, originally from Arizona, were willing to work alongside Price to see the vision for Los Angeles come true.

“The most rewarding experience so far with Hopeful Horizons has been knowing that I am changing people’s lives,” Susie said. “We have already helped so many people thus far, and I can’t wait to see the growth in our company in the future.”

Out of the 250,000 dollars raised, Hopeful Horizons Outreach has donated $22,150 to Trinity Christian Schools. Price plans to continue to support Trinity Christian Schools as needs arise in the future.

Providing a Christian Environment

“We are basically family,” Price said. “This school needs funds in order to continue to further its education and ministry. Without our help, numerous staff members will lose their jobs and many students will lose the bonds they’ve formed and a safe place to learn in a Christian environment.”

In October, their organization included a friendly competition for the women living in Alpha Hall, to gather supplies for local homeless community outreach. The Alpha Hall residents competed to see who could bring in the most supplies between the East and West side of the hall.

Price and the Jacobsons placed bins on each side of the dorm for students to fill. The girls of Alpha Hall filled the bins with items like toiletries, water bottles, fast-food gift cards and packaged food items.

Financial Support

At the end of the month, Alpha Hall filled five bins. In addition to the bins on campus, the members of Hopeful Horizons have set up bins around the area, including one in Corona, one in Anaheim and two in Los Angeles.

The organization financially supported the family of Alan Lopez, a 21-year-old from Corona, Calif., who was killed in a tragic accident last June. According to the organization, one of Lopez’s dreams was to help his parents buy a home. Lopez was an employee for HP Communications, and with the help of HP Communications, Hopeful Horizons Outreach was able to fulfill Lopez’s dream by purchasing a house for them in LA county.

Aside from their support of the local high school, other efforts include raising money for sustainable needs in impoverished communities across the U.S. and Mexico. The organization is working with Alpha’s resident advisors to create a mission trip involving students on Biola’s campus for Project Mexico.

Goals

Their goal is to raise $100,000 for their project in Mexico. They plan to use the funds to bring food and water resources, clothing, building supplies and Bibles to poverty stricken areas.