Biola fouls their way to 0-2 loss

The Vanguard Lions hand the Eagles their first GSAC loss of the year due to two costly penalties.

Marika Adamopoulos

Junior Taylor Venegas pushes her way towards the ball in the heat of Biola’s home game last week. | Matthew Matiz/THE CHIMES

Kyle Kohner, Writer

In this clash of top 15 ranked rivals in the NAIA, No. 11 Biola controlled the field and ball for most of the game. However, during the times No.15 Vanguard University entered enemy territory, they drew critical fouls, setting themselves up for two free kicks, both times resulting in a goal.

The First Half

For most of the first half the Eagles and Lions were equal on both offense and defense. Both defenses were equally stingy and the offenses attempted the same number of shots at six.

Unlike Biola, the Lions were able to capitalize on one of their six shots on a ball that was assisted on a free kick from freshman defender Haley Bruce that sophomore defender Jessica Taukeiaho buried into the net. The goal was scored with less than two minutes to go in the half.

The Second Half

In the second half, much of the same happened. Defenses were stifling, and offenses took many shots. Biola again failed to capitalize on their five shots. Vanguard, similar to the first half, took as many shots as Biola. However, their second goal of the game was scored on another free kick.

The goal was the result of a controversial called foul, and junior forward Madison Lopp sailed a long free kick that hooked into the top of the net.

Too Steep

The remaining 20 minutes provided no opportunities for the Eagles on the offensive front. The two avoidable goals allowed by the Eagles proved too steep of a hill to overcome, resulting in their first loss in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Despite this conference loss, Biola remains three points ahead of Westmont College in the GSAC.

Next

Biola’s next game is Oct. 24 away against The Master’s College at 11:00 am.