Mariners sink Eagles 0-2

After allowing two close goals in the first half, the Biola Women’s soccer team could not overcome the early deficit.

Kyle Kohner, Writer

After two straight Golden State Athletic Conference games with a perfect record, the Biola Women’s soccer took on the Marymount College Mariners of California but wound up in the loss column for the first time this season with a final score of 0-2.

The first half started with two missed shots on goal by Biola. The Mariners took advantage of the Eagles’ missed opportunities with 34:43 left in the half, junior forward Yasmyn Andrade made a shot that took a lucky bounce into the net.

After Marymount's goal, with 31:43 left, Biola’s junior forward Taylor Venegas missed a wide open shot, the first of many missed offensive opportunities that night, especially in the first half.

With 11:39 left in the first half, Marymount freshman defender Sophia Tostado scored off a free kick that was deflected off the hands of Biola senior goalkeeper Amanda Johnson. The score was 2-0 going into the second half.

Although the Eagles dominated possession in the second half compared to the first, they could not capitalize on the numerous scoring opportunities they had throughout the game. The missed opportunities included four corner kick opportunities within five minute of each other.

On the missed scoring opportunities against Marymount, Biola head coach Erin Brunelle said, “Sometimes games are won by inches and that is what you saw tonight."

This first loss on the season exposed weak areas in Biola's defense.

“The team, especially the defense, has stepped up with the unfortunately, but because some of the players are kind of new, we need more experience and minutes together so that we are all on the same page, especially in the first half to prevent those early goals," said sophomore defender Cat Newberry.

After the loss, Biola heads into the next game against GSAC rival William Jessup University with a 7-1-3 record. The game is home on Oct. 8 at 7 p.m.